31

For countless years, Sophia and I have shared a deep and enduring friendship that began with our initial meeting through mutual friends. Over time, our connection has grown to the point where Sophia feels more like a sister to me than just a friend. We've often engaged in heartfelt conversations, dreaming about the day when we'll stand by each other's side as maids of honor and even considering the possibility of becoming godmothers to each other's children.

I found myself emerging from the depths of unconsciousness, greeted by an intense white light that forced me to squint and adjust my eyes to the unfamiliar surroundings. The realization dawned upon me I was in a hospital room. Confused and disoriented, I heard a voice behind me uttering, "I'm sorry, Nailea."

Turning around, I discovered Sophia seated beside my unconscious body, her tear-stained face reflecting the depth of her emotions. Clutching my hand, she struggled to meet my gaze. Yet, the reason behind her remorse remained shrouded in mystery. Seeking answers, I moved to the other side of the bed, sitting down as I studied her troubled expression.

Taking a deep breath, Sophia finally broke the heavy silence. "I don't know why I did it," she confessed, her voice quivering with emotion.

I was so confused, what had she done? The mystery surrounding her actions intensified my confusion, leaving me yearning for clarity in moments like these when the realization of being trapped in a coma became particularly unbearable.

The weight of uncertainty pressed upon me, each passing moment amplifying the intensity of my confusion. Sophia's tearful admission lingered, creating a palpable tension that seemed to suspend time in the quiet hospital room.

My mind raced with questions. What could she have possibly done? Why was she apologizing? The gap between her words and my comprehension widened, casting a shadow over our once unbreakable friendship. In the silent realm of the hospital, the desire for answers became a relentless ache, a yearning for a truth that felt out of reach.

The confines of the coma held me captive, rendering me a silent observer in this unfolding drama. With each passing second, I clung to the hope that Sophia would unravel the mystery, providing the key to unlock the enigma surrounding her actions. Yet, the hospital room remained an arena of ambiguity, leaving me suspended in a state of limbo, yearning for the clarity that continued to elude me.

Why is she saying sorry to me?

I'm confused, watching her tears and her tight grip on my hand, trying to figure out what happened.