36. Prison break

Elise

We waded through a field of wildflowers and grass up to our waists, getting our clothes wet from the dew that was on them. An old helicopter sat in the middle of the field and a familiar figure was stood beside it.

"Yeah you know what you didn't give me?" Mason asked as we approached. "Time. Or money. I'm not made of jets."

I scoffed at his last remark.

"I thought you're supposed to be the best?" Yelena questioned as we reached him. "Like a real pro."

"Oh I beg your pardon Tsarina, was the free flat and lifetime supply of Kissel not to your liking?" Mason replied.

Yelena made an odd noise - almost a scoff and the start of a word at the same time - and Natasha said, "Oh don't let her wind you up."

"No I take exception to impuning my professionalism," Mason argued.

"Well you did set us up with a generator that crapped out after six hours," Nat replied.

Mason scoffed and Lexa added, "She's not wrong."

He turned to my sister.

"You too?"

Lexa shrugged with a smile.

"Awhhh he's sensitive!" Yelena cooed, walking over to the glass front of the jet. "I see why you keep him around."

Me and Lexa walked around the other side of the helicopter, inspecting it.

I know he didn't have much time but... I said.

We'd be lucky if this even got us to Siberia.

I laughed.

Well we'd better cross our fingers and hope we don't fall out of the sky.

Lexa smirked.

"Lexa, Elise!" I heard Natasha call.

We walked back around to see Yelena taking a bite of something and Natasha saying, "Oh I stashed that like 5 years ago."

"How is it?" the red-head asked.

"It's dry," Yelena replied, wandering off again. "It's really dry."

With a grunt, she pulled herself up into the helicopter. Natasha leant over an old duffel bag and pulled out two white suits.

"You know you're getting dangerously close to running out your tab," Mason told Natasha as me and Lexa looked through the bag. "Supplies I can tally but you bring me attention from the authorities all my prices go up."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Nat asked.

I was still listening intently to the conversation whilst inspecting the guns and hooks in the bag.

"Your mate, Secretary Ross," Mason replied.

"He's not her mate," I interrupted.

"Whatever he is, he's been sniffing around my affairs to the point in which I've got contacts declining my calls. I'm a private contractor..."

At this point I got bored of listening and busied myself with searching through the bag.

The helicopter was soaring over northern Siberia, Natasha and Yelena flying, me and Lexa in the back.

"Hey how come we don't get fancy suits?" Lexa asked loudly so they could hear her.

Natasha smirked.

"I didn't account for having 3 people with me 5 years ago," she replied. "I only packed 2 suits!"