17. Ms Belova and Miss Romanoff

Clint

"Natasha?" I called down the corridor as she walked quickly away. "Natasha!"

The red-head disappeared up the stairs.

"Fucking hell Natasha," I muttered to myself, running to catch up.

By the time I got to the top of the stairs, the assassin was already disappearing into her room. I ran over and when I stood in her doorway, I commented, "Either you're getting faster or I'm getting cranky."

The woman didn't respond as she looked over the papers on her desk.

"Natasha!"

This sharp call made her spin around to look at me.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Ross, getting involved."

I saw my best friend's jaw was clenched.

"Why, what's he said now?" I asked, going over.

"He's put in an application to the government to take the twins into his custody permanently!" Nat cried with frustration. "He said he'd give us a week to get answers!"

I took her hands, not showing the rage that was bubbling inside of me.

"We'll fight against this, don't worry... but..."

I had news of my own.

"But?"

"But... I'm retiring," I replied.

Natasha just stared straight into my eyes, not quite registering my words.

"Hello?" I waved in front of her. "Earth to Nat?"

She blinked suddenly.

"Holy shit," I gasped, her emerald eyes snapping to me.

"Sorry, y-you're retiring?" Natasha stuttered.

I nodded.

"I can't do this whole Avenger thing anymore," I replied.

The red-head nodded slowly.

"Yeah, that's fine," she said, turning away from me.

"You can come and visit?" I suggested.

"Would you visit me?" Nat asked without turning to look at me.

"Of course," I replied instantly. "The job's just too much for my old state now."

"If you're retiring this young, I don't know how Ross is still on his feet," Nat chuckled.

"No Natasha, don't do that to yourself."

"Do what?"

"You know what I mean."

Natasha turned and came over, but instead of stopping in front of me, just left, grabbing her coat on the way out. I sighed and looked around her moderately neat room. Everything was tidied away apart from her desk - which had piles of papers on it. I went over and looked over the papers. One in particular caught my eyes.

Dear Miss Romanoff

               I am writing to you with concerns about the current situation with you-know-what. I am concerned that it will not work and they will not agree. Would you be so kind as to meet me at the agreed spot at 1pm on Saturday?

Yours sincerely,

              Ms Belova

Who was 'Ms Belova' and what was you-know-what? I looked at the clock. 1pm. I checked the calendar pinned on the wall. Saturday. I ran out of the room and went to grab my bow and arrows (just in case, y'know?). Time to find out what was going on.

Natasha

I went down the path through the trees towards the lake. I saw it glistening in the moonlight long before I exited the woods and into the clearing. When I did enter the clearing however, I looked around. I could see no-one. Suddenly, I heard a twig snap to my left. Knowing this trick, I looked to my right.

"You can't get me with that one," I said with a smirk.

"Ohhh I know," the blond stood in front of me replied in a thick Russian accent.

I smiled and went in to hug her.

"I'm so glad you're safe сестра," I mumbled in her ear.

"You too сестра," the younger woman replied.

We pulled out of the hug and I asked, "What do you mean by 'they will not agree'?"

The blond sighed and said, "It's bad enough the world knows one Avenger is an ex-KGB assassin. I don't think they'll accept another one."

"сестра, you don't have to be an Avenger," I replied. "But I think you would be a good addition to the team."

The younger woman scoffed and looked towards the lake.

"They have you, I have a mission to do," she pointed out.

"And what mission is that?" I inquired, tilting my head slightly to the right.

"Freeing the others."

"How many are left?"

The woman shrugged.

"Only a few I would ho-"

We both grabbed our guns and spun to face the woods where we heard a twig snap. Nobody emerged.

"That wasn't you?" the Russian accent came from beside me quietly.

"No," I replied. "You?"

"Nope, not me either."

We kept our guns raised until a figure stepped out of the bushes. I lowered my gun with a sigh as I saw the quiver and bow. I tapped the other woman's arm so she also lowered her gun.

"Clint, seriously?" I demanded, irritated.

He smirked knowingly, then looked towards my accomplice.

"I assume this is Ms Belova?" he guessed.

Putting her gun in her waistband and going over to Clint, the blond Russian held out her hand and greeted him by saying, "Yelena. Yelena Belova."