Chapter 19

/// NORMAL POV \\\

The three of you enter through the blast door. You are still unable to move, so N carries you down the hall while Uzi walks by your side. You ignore all of the fearful expressions coming from people passing by in the corridors and close your eyes, finally feeling somewhat relaxed.

You reach Uzi's room and N carefully sets you in the office chair.

"You still can't move?"

"I ca-an bar-r-rely mo-ve my he-ead."

You struggle to say.

"Well, I can't run any tests right now, since you..."

Uzi picks up her device off of the ground. It's broken, and you can see a spring sticking out of the side of it.

"So until I can fix it, you'll just have to wait. Maybe it'll go away?"

Uzi says, unsure. She sets the object on the desk and crosses her arms. She groans loudly, walking across her room and flopping on the bed.

This is going to be a long week.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

"FINALLY!"

You wake with a start and whip your head around to look at Uzi. Your mobility has definitely improved over the last few days and your voice is back to normal, but you still can't walk. You haven't left Uzi's room and you've been relying on N to bring back cans of oil.

"What?!"

You yell back at Uzi with a glare.

"Look!"

She turns toward you and holds out the device, that looks relatively intact. She quickly pops it on your head and turns back to her laptop.

"Where's N?"

You glance around Uzi's empty room.

"Went to the landing pod to keep the psycho from escaping."

She answers, still typing.

"Valid."

You nod and lean back in your chair. You sit in silence, with Uzi's faint typing being the only source of noise.

"Huh."

Uzi says after a few minutes.

"I was right. Damn, the company tried to pull a bitchy move on you."

"What do you mean?"

Uzi turns to you and points at the screen, which is covered in letters and number sequences you don't understand.

"They did something to temporarily disable you. It would keep you from hunting and release you just before you overheat and die."

She explains.

"As a punishment?!"

You lean forward. How could the company be so cruel?

"No..."

Uzi turns back to her laptop and scrolls down.

"... as a catalyst."

You look from the computer screen to hers with fear.

"The lack of oil would drive you insane-"

You catch on.

"-To the point where I would kill... everything left..."

You and Uzi sit in intense silence.

"If N hadn't found you and brought you back here, then by this time tomorrow..."