Mates

(Rain x Sodo)
CW: burns

"You are perfectly normal to me, firefly" rain whispered, clutching onto the ghoul like he would disappear at any time.

Terzo was retiring and passing on the his legacy to the soon to be papa, Copia. All of the ghouls were ok with the era ending because it meant they could settle down with their mate, not worry about rehearsals and performance times, and for some of them, starting a family. Well, everyone except Dewdrop. Dew hated change and he was absolutely crushed at the news, he was one of the only ghouls left without a mate and he didn't want to loose the only family he had.

Dew sat in the practice studio with the rest of the era III ghouls waiting for their papa to arrive. Terzo walked in the room, a huge grin on his face. "Dearest ghouls, I would like you to meet your new papa!" Dew looked over at the door, a shy looking man entered, he didn't have the traditional papa markings but his eyes were slightly sunken in. "He doesn't look like a papa." Dew said, his voice dripping with venom. "That is because he is just a cardinal, not yet a papa" Terzo explained, ruffling dews hair. Although he would never admit this to anyone, he secretly loved it when Terzo ruffled his hair. After that cardinal copia chose the ghouls who would be staying in the band. He picked Dewdrop and Aether. Dew's eyes grew wide as he found out he was picked to stay.

Dew loved the show, he real did, but he just wanted to stay with his family and his papa. But copia had other ideas. "Alright everyone I will give you some time to say your goodbyes but after that I need dew Aether to come with me." Dewdrop growled at him, he barely knew him and he was already giving him nicknames, no fucking way. Water, Alpha, and chAir approached him first. "We'll miss you Dewy" alpha said, ruffling his hair. Then came mist, pebble, and omega. They said a simple goodbye and went on their way. Lastly Terzo approached him, he had a small smile on his face. "I'm going to miss you so much" Terzo said ruffling his hair and pulling him into a hug. Dew looked around once to make sure no one else was in the room before he broke down in tears. "I- I don't want you to go." Dew said shakily. "I know. But I promise it'll be ok." Terzo smiled, running his hand through dew's hair. "And who knows, you might even find what you're looking for." Terzo winked, the grin still on his face. Dew chuckled, he really was going to miss Terzo and his antics.

After everyone but Copia, Aether, and Dew had left, Copia announced they would start the summoning of the new ghouls in the coming weeks. During the time between then and the summoning Dew started to feel a change, he would randomly get hot and he started to sweat like crazy. He didn't really understand what it was so he decided to leave it alone and hopefully it would go away on its own.

Two weeks later they summoned the new ghouls. The first one to be summoned was an earth ghoul named mountain. He was tall with short brown hair and square glasses. The next ones were two air ghoulettes named Cirrus and Cumulus. Cirrus was tall (for a ghoulette) with long lark brown hair and markings around her eyes (which Dew assumed was eyeliner because Mist used to wear it all the time.) Cumulus, however, was shorter and had blonde curly hair. Then there was Swiss and Sunshine,the multi ghouls. Swiss was a pretty average height and had short dark brown curly hair and a smile that could light up a room. Sunshine was also an avarge height with short light brown curly hair and, like Swiss, an amazing smile. Lastly there was a water ghoul. He was tall but not as tall as Swiss or mountain, he had black hair that reached almost to his shoulders. His skin was so smooth and he had a small blush on his cheeks. He was gorgeous. Aether looked over at dew to see him blushing like crazy, staring at the new ghoul. "Damn dew I didn't know you fell so easily." Aether smirked, playfully pushing dew's arm. "What's his name?" Dew asked almost breathlessly. "Were you not paying attention?" Aether rolled his eyes. "His name is Rain."

Over the next few weeks, Dew started to feel warmer around rain. If he was near him he would feel really warm, and one time they bumped into each other in the hallway, his skin burned. Dew decided to ask copia about his problem. He approached the door and knocked. "Come in." Was heated the other side of the door. Dew entered and sat down, fidgeting with his hands. "What can I do for you caro?" Copia asked softly. "Well, I've been feeling really warm recently. And one time I accidentally bumped into the new ghoul, Rain, and it burned my skin." Dew unzipped his jacket and revealed a huge blister on his arm. "Oh dear, this is not good." Copia said, walking over to his bookshelf and pulled out a book. He took a few minutes to read a page before her turned back to Dewdrop. "Well I have some good news and some bad news." Copia began. "The good news is rain is your mate!" Copia smiled at the ghoul. "The bad news is since your mate is a water ghoul, you are turning into a fire ghoul. You will feel hot most of the time, and when you touch him it will burn you." Dew looked terrified. "Is there anything I can do to stop it?" Dew asked, his eyes growing wider by the second. "Well, there is nothing you can do to stop the transformation from water to fire, but there is a way to stop the burning." Dew let out a breath. "What is it?" He asked, still somewhat scared. "You have to mark each other." Dew's eyes widened even more, his mind war racing. What was he going to do? He barely knew the ghoul but somehow they were mates? This didn't make any sense to him.

Dew decided it would be best to get to know the new ghoul. He saw Rain and Mountain sitting on the couch, each reading a book. Rain noticed the ghoul first, he waved and went back to his book. Oh, he's shy. Dew thought to himself. Dewdrop quietly sat by him, wanting to start up a conversation but he thought it would be best to let Rain go first. "Y-you're water?" Rain said pointing at dew. He nodded his head. "The names Dewdrop." Dew said, sticking out his hand. Rain hesitantly shook Dew's hand. They talked for the next hour, chatting about things like rehearsal schedules, books, movies, and anything else they could think of. Eventually rain fell asleep on dew's shoulder, which usually wouldn't have been a problem, he let his friends rest on his shoulder all the time. However, whenever rain touched him he would burn, so as soon as rain's head hit his shoulder he flinched from the pain. "Are you ok?" Mountain asked timidly. Dew nodded but on the inside he was screaming, it felt like he was being burned from the inside out.

Over the next few days Rain and dew started hanging out more, they would sit together in the common room and at dinner, they would play video games, and Dew would listen to Rain ramble about the current book he was reading. Eventually Rain caught feelings for his new found friend. He would blush at any physical contact Dew gave him and he would laugh at all of the jokes Dew told. They became inseparable.

Three months had passed and Dewdrop was feeling worse by the day. His skin had started to burn even when he wasn't touching Rain, he would get massive headaches any time he was near any kind of water, and he became more irritable. He knew he would never be able to get close enough to Rain to mark him so thought maybe if he ignored Rain this would all stop. One day Rain had enough, he knocked on Dewdrop'a door. When he heard nothing from the other side, he opened the door. His eyes widened at what he saw.

Dewdrop was lying on the floor unconscious, his entire body was burnt, and if there was a spot on him that wasn't burning was slowly being burned. Rain ran over to Dew, he tried to pick him up Dew's skin was to hot and it burned him. Rain did the next best thing and ran to copia's office. Rain entered the room, not bothering to knock. "Copia! You have to help!" Before Copia responded, rain ran off to dew's room. Copia didn't know what was going on but he followed anyway. When they got to Dew's room he was still unconscious, his body littered with burns. "W-what do I do?" Rain asked, tears forming in his eyes. "You need to mark him." Copia said firmly "I know it'll burn but all of this will stop once you mark him." Rain nodded, quickly picking up dew and sinking his fangs into dew's neck, drawing blood and licking the wound until it healed. His Dewdrop woke up shortly after, some of his burns starting to heal. "R-rain?" Dew, cupped rains face, pulling his hand away "shit that burns." Dew cursed. "Dew I need you to mark me" rain said leaving no room for argument. "It's the only way for the burning to stop." Dewdrop did as he was told, doing the same marking ritual that was done by rain to him.

Rain held dew for the rest of the night. After not being able to hold each other for so long this was just what they needed. After an hour rain asked, "so are you a fire ghoul now?" Dew froze "h-how did you know?" Rain giggled "baby, you have more body heat than any of the ghouls combined." Dewdrop sighed "I guess I am, But I want to know. How could you love a ghoul as abnormal as me?" Dew fidgeted with his hands. "You are perfectly normal to me, firefly" rain whispered, clutching onto the ghoul like he would disappear at any time. "Well, since you're a fire ghoul I think you need a new name?" Rain inquired. They went through several names before finally landing on sodo. "It's perfect" Sodo smiled. "My beautiful ember, Sodo."

1795 words

A/N: holy crap I finally wrote a long chapter? Never thought this day would come. Anyway thank you all for your support <3