Scarlet Eyes

The news of my father's death had spread like wildfire throughout the school. I got sympathetic looks and apologies from people I didn't know everywhere I went. From people whispering about the deaths that had been spreading around the country, my father being one of them. His death was broadcast everywhere. Every TV screen that could reach from how my father died. I kept my head down, avoiding anyone's eyes as my small brown shoes hit the white hallways paved with the pain and struggles of all the other students who even dared to try and pass each class with 100% even though I've been struggling to keep up my highest grades being 65% barley passing at all. As a man slowly covered my side, He kept walking toward me like a pillar of expressionless motives.

"Light?" I asked, looking up. He kept looking forward as we walked to class together, his steps matching my own.

"What do you want?" I asked again, waving my hand in front of his face. It's like he's being protective but not doing anything but looking scary. It's like all he has is a bark, no bite.

"Hello! I'm speaking to you!" I had to stop before him to get a reaction from this emotionless statue named Light.

"I'm just walking you to class. Is that strange?" The light stopped before me, his face inches from mine, having to lean down to hear me.

"No, I guess it's fine," I mumbled, walking with Light back to college math, the most boring class. The strange thing is that. Light hands kept brushing against mine. I pulled them away, crossing my arms. Why is he acting like this? We barely know each other, yet he works like he loves me. I glared at any other person who even got close to me, let alone accidentally brushed my shoulder, as we walked through the halls. I guess after everything that happened, the comfort from him was excellent even though with the loss of my father and the loss of Kasai, even if I didn't know Kasai well, he was still my friend. I walked into class as students kept mumbling over the deaths of all the inmates seen on the news.

"Yeah, They keep saying heart attacks caused their death. Strange, right?" One of the girls next to me spoke in a low whisper as she talked to the girl across from me as Light to his typical spot right behind me, closest to the window. I sighed heavily, looking forward to arriving at school on time today. Even if finding a job is going to be a struggle, that's if I can even keep the apartment I need. I felt a hand touch my shoulder minutes before class truly started.

"Hey, I just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss." Light's voice never changed from that horrible cold tone as I looked at him, confused, not understanding, but then again, he could have overheard the other students talking about all the deaths. My father and Kasai are one of them.

"Oh? Uh, thank you, Light." I pushed my hand off my shoulder, turning to face the chalkboard as the teacher walked in. The teacher, with her sharp eyes and aggressive features, the smell of smoke filled the room, making me and other students cough for a person who rants about never smoking and teaches us a subject which she has to talk a lot and fast, she smokes, which gives her an awful voice like a fork being scratched on a plate.

"It's nice to see you in class, Y/N." She had to point me out, having more eyes look at me than the problems I've been dealing with as students chuckle and giggle at each other.

"Yeah," I chuckled, trying to avoid how much it stung like someone pouring salt into my already open wound. The lesson went on more and more, dragging by the second. Being picked on by the students was one thing. Being picked on by the teacher because she likely thinks you are worthless and minutes away from failing her class was another.

"Who can answer number four?" The teacher had her back towards us as she marked along the chalkboard. I glanced up to see half the class had their hands up.