Chapter 2: Her Heartbeat

Start from the beginning

To this day we can't get the words told by Dr. Petrova 4 months ago "Mrs. Lorenzo had a few broken ribs and a lot of blood loss, along with a pretty badly injured head. We tried our best but I am sorry to say this since there was a major head injury the patient has slipped into coma, we have no idea when she might wake up, also we are very doubtful the patient will even wake up, seeing the progress, please be ready for everything."

That was the first time Vincent had a panic attack, he was suffering with her, and even though we had no hope for her to wake up, he stayed with her 24/7 and looked after her, he talked to her, got her flowers, he does everything for her, forgetting about himself. He is not connected to the outside world except for his wife.

Also, the truck driver was sentenced to imprisonment, but Aiden managed it. Also, now since Aiden is expecting a child in a months' time, he is very busy, after the outburst of the news, he left for home, feeling hopeless. He loves Cassandra but he can't do anything to save her.

As for me, I have been in a contract marriage with Hazel, for 1 year, even though the tragedy happened, we thought of calling off the wedding, but since we had told our family about our fake love story, we had to get married to lighten the mood for everyone. We had a private ceremony 3 months ago, in her house with only close family members, which by the way, Vincent didn't attend. Even we didn't force him, as his daily routine was Cassandra.

Now seeing both of them sleep peacefully on the bed, my heart aches, they were my everything, I am so lost that I have no clue what I am supposed to do in this situation. One will wake up soon, but be a dead person all the time, the other won't wake up at all.

Hazel was sitting next to Cassandra and was holding her hand and talking to her about all sorts of things. I get a call from Aiden, as soon as I pick it up, I can hear, Aiden shouting to me, "Bro please hurry up and make some arrangements, as I coming to the hospital with Chloe, she is in labor."

At the same time, I can hear her shout in pain, "What's wrong Aiden, she still had a month to go na? Is everything all right? You don't worry I will make arrangements" Hearing this Hazel hurriedly comes to me and asks what happened.

"When I told her about Cassandra, she was fine for a while, but then she suddenly started to feel pain, so, please hurry up" I said ok and explained the situation to Hazel and asked her to stay with Vincent in case he wakes up and I went to the lobby to make arrangments.

*****

Next day

Chloe delivered a beautiful baby boy, he had a similar face to Chloe, with blue eyes and hair similar to Aiden's, also he was too cute with skin complexion to Chloe. Vincent was holding the baby in his hands and asked "What is his name? He looks so cute and also too tiny for me to hold"

"Clover, Cloves, Candy you can say anything of such sought," I say and receive a headshot from the pillow thrown from Chloe. She glares at me and says "Asher, we named Asher. Nick, will you name your baby Nike or Catclaws?"

"None idiot" I snicker. We were bickering and having some fun when Vincent handed the baby to Aiden and said "You're so lucky that you can hold him in your hands" saying that he left the ward. A sigh leaves Aiden's mouth and he cradles the baby. "Everything alright Aiden?" Chloe asks.

He just nods. I move out of the ward and go to Cassandra's ward. There I see Dr. Petrova, he was running some tests and after ten minutes, he turned to Vincent and said "I am sorry to say this, but her condition has only decreased with the passage of time, yesterday I thought she might have 2 weeks time, but at the current rate her health is deterring, she only has a week."

After the doctor left, giving me a pity look, I went and placed my hand and Vincent's shoulder. He does not look up but simply says "Leave me alone for a while please, I just want to be with her."

I don't say a word and make my way to the door understanding his concern and pain, before I could even leave I could hear Vincent crying. I was near the exit door, I turned around to see him hugging her body and crying out loud.

"Why just why Cassandra? Why did you have to do this, how do you even expect me to stay without you? Please don't give up baby, I know you are too strong, stronger than me that you fought for our love all alone, now how can you just leave me like this? Why Cassandra, just why? You know right you're my priority, not my option."

"You could have let me die instead, but you just jumped in front me like a hero, but see the consequence, being the hero you yourself, you are just killing me, is this some sought of revenge, please don't do this, I am dying here constantly. I promise if you leave me, I will follow you to death also, I am not giving up on us, not now nor ever."

"Love is an untamed force. When I tried to control my feelings for you, it destroys us. When we both tried to imprison it, it enslaved us. When we try to understand it, you are leaving me feeling lost and confused."

"Today I saw Aiden's baby, I was jealous of not having a baby with you, please come back to me so we can just complete our family picture. Look I even thought of their names Cavin and Ce.." his voice was now muffled up, as he was crying very badly.

He took a few deep breaths to calm himself and once again say "Look you might never forgive me for all the things, but I promise if you leave me now, I will never ever forgive give, just respond to the medicine dammit. I will do everything in this world to bring you back, I will even trade my life for yours but when you don't respond what the hell am I supposed to do?"

He breaks the hug and holds her hand in one hand and picks up the rose, from the vase nearby and says "You my fragile love, you are too stubborn aren't you, so don't worry let's come up a solution, I want to reach you as quickly as possible, I promise if you ever leave me, I will come to you but I have to decide yet how I will reach you. Should it be as painful as yours or painless as I am reaching you?"

God he is having suicidal thoughts now, I have to do something before he really thinks of taking his own life. I interrupt him and try to confide with him, but he just ignores me, losing my patience, I slap him and shout "Will she ever forgive you for taking your own life, she jumped in front of you so that you could live not die with her."

"She was crazy enough to think that I could even live without her, she was selfish to leave me, she should not have jumped Infront of me, I was ready to die, why did she even do that, why?" he shouts as he gets up from his chair. I just hug him and hold him until he cools off. When I see his situation stable, I ask Hazel to come and stay with him. She obeys me and does not ask further questions.

I go out and summon Aiden, his parents and my Dad and explain to them about Cassandra's situation and also Vincent's suicidal thoughts. Aiden's Mom breaks down hearing about her, and Dad sees at me hopelessly with the situation at hand, I can understand his pain, in merely one and a half years he lost his wife, and now his son is about to take his own life.

Aiden suggests "Should we look for a physicist for him, it's too dangerous seeing his situation now, I know a friend of mine, his sister is the top physicist in the country, her name is Cera. I can contact her if you guys want."

"No Aiden, he is adamant on not letting her go, I don't think Cera is of any help now, with all these uncertainties in life." I say "Let's just give him some time to process things, we ourselves are not able to able to process this, moreover Chloe also went into shock listening to the news, so Vincent's reaction is however right, seeing him, how much he loved her."

"Maybe you are right" Aiden agrees. He supports his parents to the room where Chloe is, I take Dad with me to Vincent. He talks to Vincent while I explain the situation to Hazel. She also started to sob uncontrollably I held her in my arms and comforted her.

***** 

How was the twist. do you guys think Cassandra will wake up? Comment down your thoughts on this.

Vote, share and do show your support for the book.

Published on 17/01/2024

Next update by 21/01/2024