Chapter 22 ~ An Old Friend

With lunch concluding and the truce established, Josephine had just a couple lessons left for the day, the last being Biology with Jotaro. In the final moments of the biology lesson, Jotaro observed Josephine with a keen eye, noting a newfound ease in her movements and a confidence that seemed to radiate from her. The shift in her demeanor intrigued him, and as the class concluded, he couldn't resist asking about it.

"What's got you so chill today?" Jotaro inquired, his gaze fixed on Josephine.

A hesitant smile played on Josephine's lips as she began recounting the events in the cafeteria and the subsequent truce with Hiroshi. She described the confrontation, the unleashed stands, and the unexpected resolution that unfolded in the headmaster's office.

Jotaro listened in silence, his expression typically unreadable. When Josephine finished her account, he nodded in acknowledgment. "Taking the blame for the fight was a noble move," he stated, his voice carrying a rare note of approval. After a momentary pause, he added, "I'm proud of you."

Josephine's jaw dropped at his unexpected admission. "You... you are?" she stammered, caught off guard by the sincerity in his words.

Jotaro, not wanting to linger on the comment, nudged her in the side. "Pick up your jaw. We need to get going," he said, breaking the moment with a touch of his usual gruffness and the two left the classroom.

As Josephine and Jotaro made their way back to his house, she found herself caught in a whirlwind of emotions, the unexpected compliment still echoing in her mind. Her heart fluttered, and she couldn't help but wear a shy smile.

Jotaro, ever observant, raised an eyebrow, "What's up with you now?"

Caught off guard, Josephine blushed slightly, her gaze momentarily shifting to the ground. "Oh, um, well," she stammered, "It's just... you know, your compliment back there. I didn't expect you to say you're proud of me."

Jotaro grunted in response, seemingly unfazed. "Just stating the obvious. You did the right thing."

"Yeah," Josephine nodded, her smile becoming more genuine. "I appreciate it. It means a lot coming from you."

Jotaro shifted his gaze forward, attempting to downplay the significance of his words. "Don't read too much into it. We've got work to do."

Josephine chuckled, realizing that Jotaro wasn't one to linger on sentimental exchanges. "Yeah, you're right..."

-

As Jotaro and Josephine approached the house, the unexpected commotion inside threw them off guard. Jotaro's sharp warning urged her to stay put, and she anxiously waited, her curiosity growing with each passing second.

After a brief but tense moment, Jotaro reappeared, his expression a mix of frustration and fatigue. He beckoned her inside, and she cautiously stepped into the house, seeking an explanation. Before she could voice her question, a wheelchair-bound figure rolled into view, his silhouette distinct against the shadows.

"Ah, there's no need to panic like this old man here," the newcomer quipped, gesturing towards Jotaro. It was then that Jotaro retorted, "You're older than me, Polnareff, so watch it!"

Polnareff rolled his eyes, his charismatic voice carrying a French accent. "Still the same Jotaro I know." Turning his attention to Josephine, he wheeled closer, revealing a face that bore the marks of both age and adventure. His silver hair was neatly kept, and his blue eye sparkled with a mixture of mischief and wisdom. He had a well defined scar running over his right eye which was covered with a purple screen optic.

 He had a well defined scar running over his right eye which was covered with a purple screen optic