Chapter 17 ~ An Old Mother's Wisdom

A couple of hours had passed, and the room's dim light hadn't changed much. Josephine had taken the time to rest, allowing the weight of her mistakes to settle. As she sat on the futon, contemplating the events that transpired, there was a knock on the door.

"Kid, can I come in? We need to talk," Jotaro's voice, no longer edged with anger, carried a more composed tone.

She took a moment to compose herself before responding, "Yeah, come in."

Jotaro entered, the air in the room carrying a sense of calm that hadn't been there before. He took a seat opposite her, giving her a nod.

"I needed some time to cool off," he admitted, breaking the silence. "I didn't enjoy scolding you like that, but I hope you now understand the seriousness of what you did."

Josephine looked up at him as he spoke, her eyes meeting his. Jotaro reached out, placing a hand on her shoulder, his thumb gently rubbing along it. It was a rare gesture, a sign that, despite his tough exterior, he cared about her well-being.

"Just promise me you'll think before you act next time. This isn't a game, and you're not invincible."

She nodded, the weight of the promise settling on her shoulders. Jotaro squeezed her shoulder gently before standing up.

"I'll go make us some tea."

As he left the room, Josephine remained huddled and Jotaro soon returned with two small cups of Japanese tea, sitting back down beside her. He handed her a cup, and she accepted it with a quiet thank you, her hands trembling slightly. The room was filled with the soothing aroma of the tea, a momentary distraction from the tension.

As she held the warm cup, Josephine couldn't shake the weight of her actions. She looked down at the ripples in her cup, avoiding Jotaro's gaze. "I'm sorry, Jotaro," she whispered.

He sipped his tea, his expression still serious but less stern than i was hours prior. "Apologize to yourself now kid. You're the one who needs to learn from this."

Josephine nodded, her eyes welling with tears. She felt like she had let down the one person who had shown her genuine understanding and kindness. Her voice trembled as she spoke again. "I just... I never meant to disappoint you. You're the only one who's been there for me since I got here."

She tried to hold back her tears, taking a sip of the tea to compose herself. Jotaro observed her quietly, the gruff exterior softening as he realized the depth of her feelings.

"You're not a disappointment, kid." he spoke gently. "But you've got to smarten up. This isn't a world where you can afford to act recklessly, especially as a stand user."

Josephine, still holding the cup of tea, took a deep breath and looked up at Jotaro. "It's not just about disappointing you," she admitted softly. Her emotions bubbled up again, evident in her eyes as she continued, "I worry about you, too. It seems like you carry this whole burden on your own, and I get that you don't want me deeply involved in it, but I'm scared. I don't want anything to happen to you either."

Jotaro studied her for a moment, he could see the genuine fear in her eyes, a fear mirrored by his own worry for her safety. "Josephine," he began, his voice measured, "I've been dealing with these things for a long time. You don't need to worry about me."

She nodded, appreciating the reassurance, but the fear lingered. The weight of the unknown dangers and the desire to protect Jotaro had become a heavy burden on her, and she struggled to find a balance between wanting to help and understanding the risks involved.

-

Jotaro entered his room, closing the door behind him. The events of the day weighed heavily on him as he sat at his desk. Holly, sensing her son's internal struggle, decided to gently breach the topic. She knocked lightly on Jotaro's door before opening it a crack. "Mind if I come in?" she asked, her voice filled with a mixture of concern and understanding.

Jotaro glanced up, giving a brief nod. Holly entered, closing the door behind her, and took a seat on the edge of his bed. She studied her son's stoic expression for a moment before speaking.

"How are you holding up, Jotaro?" she inquired, her tone soft yet probing.

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Fine mom, just fine."

Holly's gaze remained steady. "Don't play tough with me, Jotaro. I've seen the way you look at her. You care about that girl, more than you're willing to admit."

Jotaro averted his eyes, a subtle shift in his demeanour betraying the conflict within. "It's complicated, Mom. I can't let myself get too close and you know why."

Holly reached forward, placed a hand on his shoulder, her touch warm and reassuring. "Jotaro, you can't keep shutting people out. You've been through so much, and I hate seeing you carry it all alone. Losing her was painful, I know, it was for me too, but shutting yourself off won't bring her back."

He tensed, a mixture of grief and frustration welling up. "I can't afford to get attached, Mom. It only leads to more pain."

Holly sighed, understanding the depth of his wounds. "But it can also lead to healing. Josephine cares about you, and you care about her. Don't let fear dictate your choices."

Jotaro's gaze lingered on a distant point, lost in his thoughts. The past held scars that ran deep, but his mother's words planted a seed of contemplation. Jotaro felt his mother's hand on his shoulder, a gesture of comfort that tugged at the edges of his defences. He sighed, glancing down at her hand before reaching up to cover it with his own. Despite the connection, his walls remained firm.

"I appreciate your concern," he began, his voice still guarded. "But it's not that simple. Josephine... she's got a spirit similar to... hers. Stubborn, persistent. It makes me worry. I don't want her getting dragged into something she can't handle."

Holly nodded, recognizing the pain in her son's eyes. "I understand, Jotaro. But shutting her out completely won't protect her either. She's already involved, and you can't deny that you care about her."

Jotaro's grip tightened on his mother's hand, a silent acknowledgment of the truth in her words. "I've trained her hard, pushed her limits. She's making progress, but today, seeing her in danger..."

Holly leaned in, her voice gentle. "It's natural to be scared, Jotaro. But maybe together, you can face whatever comes your way."

Jotaro hesitated, his gaze distant. "I can't let history repeat itself. I've lost too much already."

His mother's expression softened, understanding the depth of his pain. "But you haven't lost everything, Jotaro. There's still a chance for you to find connection, to heal. Don't let the past rob you of the future."

Jotaro's internal struggle played out on his face, the conflict between past trauma and the possibility of a different future. The weight of his decisions bore heavily on him, and as he continued to hold his mother's hand, he found comfort in the fleeting moments of vulnerability shared between them.