Chapter 21 ~ The Unexpected Truce

The morning sun cast a warm glow as Jotaro and Josephine walked towards the school. Jotaro, deep in thought about his responsibilities, was interrupted by Josephine's cheerful demeanour.

Turning to look up at him she broke the silence. "You know, Jotaro, I never took you for such a fun guy. Always thought you were just the tough, serious type."

Jotaro, gave a nonchalant shrug, "Being a stand user comes with enemies. I have to be serious most of the time. Plus, I've got a job to do as a teacher."

Josephine smiled up at him "Sure, Mr. Serious Business. But I've never seen you laugh like that before."

Jotaro rolled his eyes, a subtle smirk forming on his lips and replied, "Yeah, well, don't get used to it."

-

The school day passed by to lunch hour without much excitement. The school cafeteria buzzed with the usual midday chaos. Josephine, catching sight of Hiroshi staring at her, sighed and placed her food tray down, preparing to confront him. The tension in the air was thick as Hiroshi, wearing a smug grin, approached.

"What do you want, Hiroshi?"

"Oh, just wondering when you'd show your face again. Thought you might've learned your lesson by now."

Josephine, undeterred, shot back "Lesson? You're the one who needs to grow up and move on."

Hiroshi's grin turned into a scowl as he retorted "This school is my turf. You should watch what you say, or you'll regret it."

Josephine rolled her eyes in exasperation, "Spare me. You're the one who can't let go of the past, newsflash; I didn't get you in trouble, you did by being an asshole."

The mention of the past stung Hiroshi with anger, and he decided to strike where it hurt.

"Why would anybody be associating with a nobody like you, even Mr Kujo, wasting his time on you. Honestly you should be called JoJo, your name and his together, You're both nothing!"

Josephine, her patience wearing thin, snapped at the insult directed to her mentor and summoned her stand. It materialized next to her, casting an eerie shadowy presence.

Hiroshi's face flared in shock as he looked on, "What the-"

Her stand lunged forward, delivering a swift punch to Hiroshi, who staggered back, clutching his side. Unbeknownst to the other students, the cafeteria had become a battleground of invisible forces.

Face growing red, her breathing quickened as her heart pounded with rage, "Don't you dare insult him again!"

Hiroshi, gritting his teeth, retaliated by summoning his own stand; a sleek, silver-plated humanoid with glowing lines along its features. The sudden revelation left Josephine momentarily stunned.

"You-you're a stand user too?"

Hiroshi stood to his feet with confidence.

"That's right, and you won't stand a chance against me, JoJo."

The nickname was spat with an undermining venom and ridicule lining his tone, but it was the least of Josephine's concerns in that moment.

A fierce battle ensued, with students unknowingly caught in the midst of a supernatural clash. Tables were overturned, food scattered, and the two stands danced around each other.

Utilizing his stand's speed, Hiroshi took advantage of the bright cafeteria lights that his stand absorbed like a solar panel for a boost of speed. Josephine, thinking on her feet, observed the shadows cast by the tables on the ground, using them strategically.

After a clever manoeuvre, Josephine's stand landed a surprise blow, leaving Hiroshi winded and coughing on his knees. She looked at him with disdain and began to walk away, however something stopped her in her tracks. She couldn't understand why but as she looked back at him, seeing his so called friends mocking him for being 'beat by a girl' she just felt pity. She realised Hiroshi was probably just a kid like her, caught up in his circumstances and made wrong choices influenced by peer pressure of those he surrounded himself with.

Slowly and deliberately she walked back towards him, sending glares at his posse who stepped back as she began to approach.

"Cowards." She jeered.

Looking down at Hiroshi she extended a hand to him, causing him to turn his gaze up towards her in surprise when she spoke to him. "Had enough?"

Hiroshi, reluctantly accepting her hand, shot her an unreadable look before turning his gaze away. Their standoff was interrupted when the headmaster burst into the chaotic scene, demanding an explanation. He ordered both Josephine and Hiroshi to his office, where the consequences of their invisible battle awaited.

-

Mr. Bushida's office felt tense as he scolded Josephine and Hiroshi for the chaos they caused in the cafeteria. He demanded an explanation, keen to discern who had instigated the brawl. The assumption lingered that Hiroshi, with his antagonistic history, was to blame.

"Explain yourselves. Who started this chaos?" His eyes lingered on Hiroshi.

Josephine, after a moment's hesitation, broke the silence. "I threw the first punch." she admitted. The headmaster's surprise was palpable, and he shifted his gaze to Hiroshi, seeking confirmation.

Hiroshi, maintaining a stony silence, offered no clarification. Mr Bushida, leaning back in his chair, continued to scrutinize both students. "Is what she said true, Hiroshi?" he pressed, his stern gaze demanding an answer but Josephine once again spoke up for him.

"It is true sir, I...I was angry and upset, but I shouldn't have taken it out in such a way. I started it and am therefore responsible for what ensued. This is not his fault."

The headmaster looked at her with an assessing gaze, sensing an unusual turn of events, he instructed them to leave and cautioned against any future disruptions.

Exiting the office, Hiroshi grabbed Josephine's shoulder, pivoting her to face him. "What the hell was that about?" he demanded, trying to make sense of her surprising admission.

Josephine, uncertain but resolute, replied, "I don't really know. But it's the truth. I threw the first punch."

Hiroshi, perplexed, argued, "Why take the fall for me? I've been giving you a hard time since day one. Didn't...didn't you want revenge?"

Josephine sighed, expressing her desire to end the conflict and avoid reverting to their initial clashes. "I didn't want this mess to continue. We'd just end up back where we started."

Hiroshi, contemplating her words, laughed under his breath and smirked, extended his hand for a shake which Josephine hesitantly accepted. "You're something else, JoJo. Don't expect us to be friends, but you've got my respect."

"