Chapter 11 ~ Disquiet

The echoes of the departing students gradually faded, leaving the biology room in an uneasy stillness. Jotaro observed Josephine, noting the subtle but palpable change in her demeanor, a quiet turmoil beneath the surface. Since their initial training session involving their stands themselves, they continued to practice regularly for another few weeks, but ever since the first night he noticed a consistency in Josephine's lower mood. It didn't affect training majorly but there was enough change in her overall mood for him to sense something wasn't right.

He signalled for her to remain seated, her furrowed brow conveying a mix of confusion and curiosity as she complied, her eyes fixed on him, awaiting an explanation.

"What's the matter?" Josephine questioned, a tinge of unease seeping into her voice.

Jotaro paused, his gaze fixed on her, assessing the weight of his words. "I've noticed a shift in your behaviour lately," he began, his tone calm but tinged with an underlying concern. "Is there something troubling you? Home, bullies?"

Josephine shifted in her seat, an evident attempt to evade the conversation. "It's not a big deal," she shrugged, her voice betraying the unease she sought to conceal.

Jotaro's expression remained stoic, his gaze unwavering. "It seems significant," he pressed, a firmness edging into his tone. "If something's bothering you, it could affect our training. Your stand may act out if your emotions aren't in check."

Josephine fidgeted, the tension between them mounting as she wrestled with her inner turmoil. "It's just... family issues," she confessed hesitantly, the weight of unspoken concerns evident in her words.

Jotaro's gaze bore into hers, a mix of understanding and frustration flickering in his eyes. "I'm not asking you to burden me with the details," he stated, his voice firm yet tinged with an unspoken plea for her to confide. "But if it's affecting you, I need to know."

Josephine hesitated, feeling the weight of his scrutiny. "It's complicated," she murmured, her unease growing palpable.

Jotaro exhaled softly, the tension in the room almost palpable. "Keeping it bottled up won't help you kid," he remarked, his tone softer but resolute.

Josephine shifted uncomfortably, a mixture of emotions clouding her features. "I'll handle it," she insisted, a hint of defensiveness creeping into her voice.

Jotaro's expression softened slightly, an air of concern underlying his stern exterior. "I'm not trying to pry," he said, his voice calmer now. "But I need you to keep a clear mind during our sessions. If something's bothering you too much, it could affect our progress."

Jotaro's expression softened slightly as he watched his pupil shift uncomfortably, acknowledging the boundaries Josephine had set, understanding her reluctance to divulge further. He straightened abruptly.

"Stay here," he instructed, his tone firm. Josephine watched as he made his way to the back of the class, her curiosity piqued. To her surprise, he retrieved the carrier with the recovered pigeon inside, its wings fluttering in anticipation.

Josephine's eyes widened in realization, a surge of happiness eclipsing the dismay from before. "I almost forgot about it," she admitted, a genuine smile gracing her features.

Jotaro observed her quietly, a faint nod of acknowledgment as he gestured for her to follow him outside to the courtyard. The crisp air greeted them as they stepped out, the sunlight casting a golden hue over the space.

Carefully, Jotaro lifted the alert bird from the carrier, its movements suggesting a remarkable recovery. His silent contemplation lingered for a moment before he handed it to Josephine, a subtle nod conveying permission. Josephine carefully took the bird from his hands, feeling its regained strength and resistance compared to before. She inhaled deeply, steadying herself before she released her grasp. With a gentle flick of her fingers, the pigeon took flight, wings gracefully slicing through the air as it soared upward, disappearing into the vast expanse above the school buildings.