50 | Confessions.

Start from the beginning

Kiara took a deep breath, mustering up some courage. "Okay, maybe just a little sip," she relented, uncorking the scotch and taking a small, hesitant sip, feeling the warmth spread through her chest.

Kiara tentatively took another sip of the scotch, her expression contorting slightly at the bitter taste. She let out a soft groan, finding it a bit challenging to acclimate to the strong flavor before daring to take another, larger gulp.

The taste lingered on her tongue, prompting a subtle grimace as she navigated through the unfamiliar sensation. Yet, despite the bitterness, she persevered, driven by the desire to gather the courage needed for the impending conversation.

As she put the bottle down, Shanvi winked. "That's the spirit! Now, go dazzle him with your charm," she urged, shoving Kiara in the direction of Dhruv, a reassuring smile etched on her face.

Kiara straightened her posture and walked slowly towards Dhruv, a look of determination settling in her eyes. As she approached, she couldn't help but feel a flutter of nerves mingled with excitement.

As Dhruv noticed Kiara approaching, a genuine smile graced his face upon meeting her gaze. "Kiara, this is my friend—”

"I, umm... there's something I really want to talk to you about, in… private," she murmured, aiming for a confident tone but her voice ended up doing a little nervous dance.

Dhruv observed Kiara's cheeks flushing into a rosy hue and noticed her subtle fidgeting, he whispered softly, "Okay..." Turning towards his friend, he gently addressed her, "I'll catch up with you later, Jenny..."

However, his heart fluttered a bit when Kiara clutched his arm, burying her face against it, revealing a hint of vulnerability and a need for attention.

With a tender touch, he carefully cupped her face and lifted it, meeting her eyes in a gesture of concern. "Are you alright? Let's go somewhere quieter," he suggested, noticing the warmth radiating from her flushed cheeks beneath his palm.

As they strolled toward the garden, Kiara held onto his arm. Despite the chilly weather, there was a serene beauty in the air. Dhruv glanced down at Kiara, noticing her flushed cheeks, perhaps from the cold or something else.

"What's on your mind?" he inquired, positioning himself near the fountain. Kiara released his arm, took a moment to compose herself, and cleared her throat.

After a dramatic inhale and exhale, she straightened up and moistened her lips. Dhruv stood before her, a soft smile gracing his lips as he observed her endearing gestures.

"D… do you h… happen to know the scien—tific explanation b.. behind falling in love?" she inquired, avoiding direct eye contact, her gaze wandering everywhere but toward him.

Dhruv's expression tightened slightly. "Is there someone you love?" he asked, feeling a pang of pain at the thought of her being in love with another person.

“I… perhaps I am… but do you know the reason?”

“I don't.”

Kiara nibbled on her lower lip and nodded gently. "They're many love or happy hormones, one is oxytocin," she murmured, her eyes welling up once more. A lump formed in her throat as she continued, "When I'm with you, I feel safe, secure, and cherished.”

Dhruv, who had been gazing at his feet, swiftly turned his attention to her upon hearing her words.

"Next is dopamine," she mentioned, attempting to move closer to him, but her step faltered. Dhruv quickly reached out, steadying her by holding onto her arm.

"Careful," he cautioned, ensuring she stayed in place.

Kiara glanced at his hand securing her arm, then met his gaze. "I feel excited and content when I'm with you," she murmured, swallowing hard. Dhruv took in a deep breath, visibly affected by her words.

“Kiara—”

"The third is serotonin. I get emotional and feel jealous when I imagine you with someone else," she explained, taking another step closer to him.

Dhruv nervously bit his lower lip, feeling his ears, cheeks, and neck flush red. A sudden rush of heat engulfed him, his heart pounding at an incredibly rapid pace.

“What's the fourth one?” He asked, still holding her arms.

Kiara drew in a deep breath, a single tear trickling down her right cheek. "Will you hate me now?" she whispered, her voice barely audible. Dhruv tenderly brushed away the tear and shook his head gently. "I could never hate you," he whispered back softly.

"Endorphins, the last one... whenever you're kind to me, I... I—" Kiara cried out before breaking down in tears in front of him.

He gently placed his lips on her forehead. "Shh... Kiara, please don't cry. It hurts to see you like this, you're hurting my heart," he whispered gently, holding her close in a comforting embrace.

"The hormones are making me feel this way... I think I truly love you," she murmured softly against his chest before lifting her gaze to meet his.

Dhruv chuckled softly before nodding in agreement. "I suppose my hormones are in sync with yours. I think I love you too," he admitted before gently planting a kiss on her nose.

“I— urg!”