11 | Awkwardness

"Time is running out, only five minutes left. Finish quickly," Dhruv said, while still reading the book he held. Kiara was struggling with the last question, and yes, she hadn't studied for the test. Stupid girl.

She glanced at Vikram and the others; they were writing their answers as if they had a train to catch. She bit her lip, attempting to come up with an answer, but her brain completely betrayed her.

"Two minutes left, everyone. Check your answers."

She looked at her paper again, and out of nowhere, she started to conjure up the answers in her mind, improvisation taking over.

With one minute left, Kiara started writing at an inhuman pace. She glanced at Vikram submitting his test paper, shaking her head. She concentrated on her paper instead.

"Time's up! Pens down," Dhruv's voice pierced through the room's intense concentration. He moved around collecting everyone's papers, stopping in front of Kiara, who remained unaware of his presence.

"Time's up, Kiara. Submit your paper."

"You be quiet!" Kiara snapped, still absorbed in her last-minute scribbling.

"What?"

The abrupt interruption startled her, and she looked up to find Dhruv standing before her, his expression a mix of surprise and irritation.

"Please, two more minutes, sir," she smiled at him before quickly writing the last two lines. Dhruv crossed his arms, staring at her with narrowed eyes.

"Kiara—"

"Please, please, please, it's about to finish," she pleaded.

He shook his head at her words before trying to grab her test paper. In the process, Kiara's fractured leg hit the corner of the bench, eliciting a cry from her.

Dhruv immediately turned around, facing her. "Where did it hurt?" he asked.

Not getting a response, he looked at her only to find her glaring at him with teary eyes. "If you hadn't pulled the paper, this wouldn't have happened," she said, her chin quivering slightly.

He sighed before passing her paper. "Hmm, go on," he said, heading towards his desk and leaning back, crossing his arms over his chest as he continued to stare at her.

Seeing her frowning at him, he raised his eyebrows. "I'm giving you another five minutes," he clarified, dispelling her confusion.

Her face lit up with a smile. Quickly seizing her test paper, she began writing again. After a while, Kiara finished, grabbed her crutches, and rose from her seat, heading toward Dhruv with the test papers in her hand.

"Thank you, sir," she expressed her gratitude.

"Hmm, come, let me help you downstairs," Dhruv offered.

As she was the only one remaining, Kiara nodded in agreement. As they descended the stairs, Kiara's crutches clacked against each step, echoing through the quiet corridor. Dhruv walked beside her, an awkward silence settling between them.

"Uh, careful," Dhruv offered, noticing Kiara struggling a bit with her crutches on the steps.

"Thanks," Kiara replied, her cheeks flushing a faint pink.

They reached a landing, and Kiara's crutch slipped, causing her to lose balance. Dhruv instinctively reached out and caught her by her waist, steadying her but in the process he slipped a bit and they were about to fall but Dhruv somehow steady himself.

In that moment of almost tumbling, Dhruv's heart raced. His arms instinctively wrapped around Kiara, pulling her close against him, while the railing supported his balance.

Their eyes locked in a moment of shared surprise. Dhruv's cheeks flushed slightly, and Kiara's breath hitched, feeling the unexpected proximity.

"Are you okay?" Dhruv asked, his voice slightly breathless, his gaze lingering on her.

Kiara nodded, feeling her cheeks warm. "Y-yes, I'm fine," she stuttered, the closeness causing a delightful flutter in her stomach.

Their gazes remained locked for a few seconds longer than necessary before Dhruv slowly released his hold, ensuring she was steady before stepping back.

"Sorry about that," he muttered, slightly flustered, as he bent to pick up Kiara's fallen crutches.

"Thank you," Kiara murmured, her heart still racing from the sudden closeness.

A mix of embarrassment and a shy smile lingered between them as Dhruv handed her the crutches, breaking the tension with a nervous chuckle.

"Clumsy me," Kiara mumbled, attempting to lighten the moment.

"Yeah," Dhruv teased, a gentle smile playing on his lips.

They continued down the stairs, their steps becoming synchronized as they adjusted their pace to match each other's.

"Try to complete your paper on time," Dhruv said, breaking the awkward silence.

"O-okay," Kiara nodded, glancing up at him with a shy smile.

They finally reached the ground floor, and Dhruv held the door open for her. Kiara paused, turning to face him.

"Thanks for helping me downstairs," she said, a genuine warmth in her voice.

"No problem, take care," Dhruv replied, his eyes softening as he watched her hobble away.

As Kiara walked away, she couldn't help but feel a flutter in her chest. It was an awkward yet unexpectedly sweet moment, leaving them both with a smile as they went their separate ways. She found her father waiting for her near the gate, biting on her lip, she rubbed her cheeks.

"Don't blush, don't blush! Ah!"