49

Lee

When Reyna had called me that evening I'd thought many things but never did I imagine this.

"What are we doing?" Landon asks for the second time. I have the same question but it's just annoying coming from him, it's annoying how he got involved in this whole thing. Clearly, Reyna called me. But coincidentally he'd just been coming to visit her. Reyna flat out told him that we had plans but somehow, in a way I'm still trying to understand, he'd coaxed her into telling him that we were going to help out Adonis. He didn't even know where or what we were going to do but he oh so eagerly agreed to follow. Like a puppy.

Oh who am I to judge. That's the exact same thing I did.

"I don't know how long this will take, did you bring the biscuits?" Reyna turns to me. I open the nylon filled with all sorts of sweets, chips and biscuits and hand one to both of them.

"Who are we waiting for?" Landon asks, leaning back on the seat. I can't resist the scoff that comes out.

"You can't be that slow, whose house is it that we're at?" I roll my eyes from irritation.

"I want to believe that there's a mistake or something. Declan is at the game," he replies coldly.

"He's going to come, I'm pretty sure of it," Reyna takes a bite from her biscuit.

"You've been pretty sure of him being the culprit from the start," Landon says, a bit too drily. Reyna's eyes focus on him from the rear view mirror.

"Why? You don't think it's him?"

"It's just hard for me okay? Declan is my friend. He's a jerk and he thinks like a snail but kidnapping? Bro that's sick."

"That would mean he's sick," Reyna sums up immediately.

"Reyna, won't you even at least wait before you label him a criminal?" Landon pleads.

"I didn't come here to debate whether or not he did it Landon. I'm waiting for him to come."

"And if he doesn't?"

"Then he doesn't think as slowly as you've assumed."

Landon opens his mouth to continue arguing but I butt in before he can.

"That's enough. I'm going to call Adonis and ask if Jordan's told him anything new." I reach out for my phone in my pocket and I'm about to open the door of the car when I catch the look Reyna's giving me.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Not. Speak now or forever hold your peace," I release the handle. She doesn't stop sending me that uncertain look.

"Do you really think we can trust Jordan?" she asks me. My face must go still because she continues. "She already lied once and she's had a crush on Declan since forever. Would she really out him for us?"

"Us? Maybe not, but it's Adonis she's doing all this for. I'd like to think she would at least try to help."

"Gosh, I feel like we shouldn't have left such a big thing in her—"