11. Secrets

Song: Secrets by The Weeknd

Landon Stone's house stands out like a stick on a beach. When Reyna told Lee we were going to the White House on the street I had urged for more description but she really didn't know how else to describe it. As we stand outside Lee's Jeep I can see why. The house is white. It's also big and obviously freaking expensive but it's the only white house on the street so that stands out.

Lee pops another gum before running a hand through his hair. The hair he'd taken time to wash, brush and comb. He didn't even wear his glasses today and chose to wear contacts. As if that wasn't enough he didn't just throw on a blue jean and white shirt, he went with an emo style with his black leather jacket and black cargo pants. When I'd confronted him about his new look he'd shrugged and told me he was only playing the part I'd created for him.

Replaying that sentence makes me snort loudly. Lee cuts me a look.

"What are we looking for tonight?" He asks, deciding to ignore my snort.

"Landon Stone. Avery knew him, she'd attended one of his parties on the 3rd of February. Or around that time. There was someone who wasn't at that party, he."

"Reyna sent me a list of all the people Landon associates with and who, by extension, may have known Avery."

"That's cool but remember we're not trying to gather all of Avery's friends. We're just out for information, regardless of the source. So keep your eyes peeled and your ears open."

"Yeah sure," he murmurs in reply. Walking towards us is Reyna and a couple of girls I've never seen before.

"Hi guys!" Reyna waves at us, apparently signal for us to come over. We meet them halfway and exchange casual handshakes in greeting. "Everyone meet Lee and Adonis, Lee and Adonis meet everyone."

Everyone beams at us in different degrees. I really don't care for any of this but according to Reyna, you can't attend a party thrown by Landon Stone if you don't have a partner and so she's done us a favor by finding one. Or two.

"I'm Willow, Reyna's told me a thing or two about me. You attend Isle high right?" The short dark and plump girl among "Everyone" speaks. She's moved away from her group and towards me so I'm guessing this is my partner. I'm also hoping that Reyna also made it clear that this is a one time meeting because the way her large eyes are looking up at me does not send good signals.

"Yeah I do, can we go in now?" I look at Reyna. Lee's positively fuming next to me, probably because Reyna also got him a partner. He should have stated clearly that she was his partner, seeing as he'd spent over an hour talking to her back at the Pizzaria. Great for him, if he'd let me read the chat I would have advised him properly.

"Yeah sure. Y'all have a good night, I'll be in the kitchen, coordinating the food and drinks," she informs us. Reyna leads us into the white House and the contrast is clear. The loud bass from the living room threatens to blow up my ear drums and it doesn't help that it's Cardi B's Up is playing. Lee quickens his steps to match mine and murmurs, "Exactly how long do you think we'll need to be here?"

"I don't know sport, I don't know," I murmur back. The party supposedly started an hour ago but it's like their entire school is already here and wasted.

"This is the living room, usually people just play around here," Willow explains, gesturing towards the darts on the walls and the guys seated on round tables playing poker like they're twenty something year old business men and not just wasted teens. "Most of the guys stay here. The girls are outside at the pool, or upstairs." There's a glint in her eyes as she tells me the last part. Uh-oh, upstairs is not where I want to be.