2. Sparks

Song: Sparks by Coldplay

The Class Reps meeting ends 10 minutes later than I calculated. Despite my very obvious attempts to cut them off, most of the representatives kept on speaking over each other, demanding for more and more outrageous school events. The fact is that the administration of Isle High is not ready to spend more than $200,000 on our extra curricular activities. This figure might seem high enough but considering that we pay over a million every year, the Reps have a point. Where we get into loggerheads is what they plan on using the money for. Prom is one thing, Beach Parties are another things. The dynamic of this particular beach party is screaming: this is where I'm losing my virginity. I mean, all high school outings scream that but this is way overboard. A weekend camped in Jessica Jones' (a Class Representative) beach cabin with no adult supervision screams unplanned pregnancies. This is a risk I'm sure my school has no plan on taking, however, to find my peace and settle my biting stomach I smile at them and promise to speak to our principal.

The moment I manage to get out of the gym I nearly run to the cafeteria, I'm 10 minutes late so I only have 40 more minutes to eat, catch up with Lee, finish my presentation for History and approve the latest articles for our school website. Yeah, a lot.

"Over here!" I hear Lee yell the moment I enter the cafeteria. Isle High is a posh school in a not so posh area, this means that few people can afford it within our neighborhood, which mean that we're a pretty small community in here. I'm guessing it was part of the plan because the cafeteria is laid out in such a way that you have a clear view of everyone the moment you enter because it's so spacious and sparsely filled up. This also means that people have a vehicle clear view of you. Me, in this instance. I ignore the staring gazes and walk up to my bestie, however, he's not alone. Yara and Damien are with him.

Don't get me wrong, I dig these two. Yara's in calculus with me and I know how many times she's saved my slow ass. Damien is still pretty new here but is quite active in our school arts club and is also very funny. However, I'm not a fan of change and it used to be just Lee and I. Damien and Yara were never invited to join us on our table, now they follow us nearly everywhere and Lee seems to be cool with this.

And so am I. Right?

I take my seat next to Lee and draw the tray he kept for me.

"What happened now?" Yara asks, referring to the cause of my lateness.

"They want to throw a beach getaway for the seniors," I grunt.

"That's not so bad?" Damien asks with a questioning tone, probably questioning my own tone. He's multitasking between eating his food and finishing a sketch.

"Not in itself but I've already got so much work to do and now they want me to present something the school won't even accept," I groan. Lee side eyes me from his thick square glasses.

"And why wouldn't they?"

"Well there's prom in a couple of months and also-" I bring out the proposition paper along with my other assignments and hand it over to them.

Yara reads it first and her eyes continue to grow bigger with each passing second.

"Wow. They're quite specific," she finally says, amusement all over her eyes. Damien and Lee grab it from her and scan their eyes over the paper quickly.

"What? No adult supervision, access to alcohol? No way they're letting them go through with it," Lee whistles.

"Why couldn't they just propose a normal party and sneak the alcohol in?" Damien frowns.

"Very logical. They said they want to be honest and transparent, and besides-" I begin to mimic Jessica, one of the Reps. "-the school president will be there."