32- Untitled

Reyna Diaz

"Come on boys, it won't be that bad," I say to me brothers as I serve them their plates of Cereals.  Rodrick grunts in reply and River just shakes his head enthusiastically.

"The last time you left us with her she tried to make us sniff meth," he supplies calmly. I cringe at the memory but manage to stretch my lips into a tight smile.

"Well she was high herself. She's sober now, I made sure to check that she didn't bring anything harmful-"

"I can't believe you actually want her to stay with us," Rodrick raises his eyes to look at me.  His light brown eyes never cease to amaze me, whenever I look at them I lose my ability to think for at least a minute because they look just like dad's.

"I don't want her to stay with you, I just don't have anyone else to ask.  Besides,  she is your mom." My last statement is met with a deadly silence.  River and Rodrick ignore me entirely and focus on their cereals.  They act all big and mighty but I bet they wouldn't want any of their friends finding out that they still eat cereal.  Not that there's anything wrong with it.

"You know I wouldn't leave you if it wasn't important," I remind them. They nod solemnly but still remain quiet. I'm contemplating whether or not my decision was right when the doorbell rings. Next to me River freezes at once.  Rodrick's eyes fly up to mine,  wide with anticipation but not exactly fear. It's part of the reason I'm not so against mum staying.  Rodrick is strong enough to protect River.

"I'll go open the door," I tell them. River mutters something about them being able to take care of themselves but I'm already in front of the door. 

I place my hand on the knob and take a deep breath in.  Here goes nothing.

"Reyna," mum greets. She isn't smiling at me,  we've gotten to the stage where she realizes that she cannot save our relationship. We're pretty much business partners at this point. My mum and I are exactly the same,  same height, same wild curly brown hair, same no-nonsense aura.  You know, typical Spanish stuff. She'd have been perfect if she wasn't always stoned all the time.

"Hi. Your bag?" I point at the satchel in her hand. She doesn't complain and hands it over to me. I quietly  search it,  making sure she isn't bringing any hard drugs inside.

"Funny that I'm being searched to enter my own house," she remarks. It's almost like she's trying to make a joke but I give her a blank stare.

"I'll be back by 3 in the afternoon. Their medicines are on the table as well as the times they're supposed to take them. Please don't swap them,  they might land in the hospital again."

"Again?" She repeats. Oh, I forgot I never told her about the incident. 

"The boys are not exactly thrilled about having you over. Don't be too extra," I warn her before stepping aside for her to come in.

"Hey boys," mum beams at the twins. As expected, they don't say anything. Some part of me pities my mum because my brothers are pros at this silent treatment thing.

"Alright then, I'm off. I'll be back soon and with sweets for you two. Love you!"

They wave at me before I leave. At least they're waving at me.