48

Saturday afternoon.

Mum and I walk over to the Chan house with two bowls of biscuits. She's more happy than she's been throughout this last week and maybe that has to do with dad being home now. He came yesterday and not when she thought he would come. But at least he's home.

"I'm really happy Ava took the girl and her brothers with her. Do you think she'll adopt them?" mum looks up at me. I shrug, careful not to throw away the contents of the bowl.

"I don't know."

"I think she should. For her sake and the kids."

"Why? Because her own daughter hasn't come back yet?" I give my mum a bored look. She sends me an apologetic look before nodding.

"I'm just worried okay?"

"I didn't say anything," I laugh at her paranoia. She huffs in reply because we're already too close to Avery's house to make conversation. I ring the doorbell and in less than a second it springs open to reveal River.

"Woah big man! Is it just me or do you look taller!" I say as a greeting. River seems to float at the compliment but yeah, he does look bigger. His big brown eyes survey my mum carefully before he bows comically to greet her.

"What are you doing?" Mum laughs.

"Mrs. Chan says this is how they greet in China," he replies eagerly.

"I'm not sure it's exactly like that though. Where's Ava?" Mum asks him, stepping into the house. I hand River the bowl of biscuits and walk in as well, closing the door behind me. The missing members all come downstairs together looking exhausted from unpacking. I know they're unpacking because Reyna had told me so earlier this morning.

"Kylie! Adonis! What an amazing surprise!" Mrs. Chan squeals. She gives mum a big squeeze and is about to do the same to me when I side step her so she's left to hugging the air. "You thug." she jokes.

"Hey Adonis, do you guys have anything planned for today?" Reyna asks me as everyone chatters away. I go to grab a bottle of water and shrug.

"I'm supposed to meet up with Nick to fix up the park but I've got nothing else."

"Has Jordan said anything new?"

"Yeah, she sent me a text this morning but he's been okay. Nothing odd."

"Can you trust her?" she eyes me, all judging.

"I want to. At this point she's our only option," I shrug again.

"I want to help. Isn't there something I can do?" She pleads.

"Reyna you need to stay here with your brothers. We don't want those people to take you away."

"Mrs. Chan is staying today so when they come she'll be with them. I just really want to help find Avery."

"I know but honestly nothing's happening yet. Stay back. If we need you I'll call you. Okay?" I add firmly. She reluctantly nods. Satisfied, I greet the others a quick goodbye and head towards the park. I only wanted to see Reyna after the whole social worker fiasco but I do need to get to the park soon to help Nick. We might probably be staying there all day.

I'm about to reach for my phone to call Nick when it starts buzzing in my back pocket. Maybe he's already waiting for me. I pick it without a glance at the phone.

"Hey Nick, I'm on my—"

"Adonis," a ghostly whisper of a voice comes from the phone. And it's not Nick's. I freeze on the spot, ignoring the fact that I'm not on the sidewalk anymore, I'm on the road. "Adonis. Please don't hang up we need to talk..." she continues, more agitated. I don't hear the rest because my phone conveniently slips from my hand and crashes on the floor. Mabel.