18. Ain't Shit

Song: Ain't Shit by Doja Cat

          Reyna's buzzing my phone with texts but I put it on silent and shove it in my back pocket. It's after dark and I wouldn't want the noise to blow my cover. I tip toe past Declan's room and enter the kitchen. It wasn't part of the tour but earlier I'd noticed a small door at the side. It could be leading to the store or some manic room where he keeps his victims, you never know.

After I ascertain that no one is following me I slowly open the door. Thankfully there's no creak. It takes time for my eyes to adjust to the darkness but I can tell that is isn't a store room, it's a passage. I close the door and begin to walk through the dark passage, wondering where on Earth it could be taking me to. Maybe I've only walked for a minute or two but it feels like hours before I find the large room. It's easy to identify because unlike the passage, it's bright.

And Jordan's standing in the middle of the room. Daniel Caeser blares from her boom box and the Tv in the room is turned on. What is this place and why does Jordan have access to it?

"Jordan," I call softly, not wanting to scare her. She doesn't turn around, just keeps pressing the console. Ah, she's playing a game. I remember her affinity towards them.

"Jordan!" I say a bit more louder and that does the trick. Her head whips in my direction and it's like she's seen a ghost.

"Adonis? What are you doing here?" She drops the console like it's a ball of ice. I step into the room properly and notice that there's a small freezer nearby and a single bed. Enough for one to live here for a couple of days.

"What are you doing here?" I shoot back.

"Well- this is my room," she sputters.

"You have a personal room in someone else's house? Don't tell me you and Declan are dating or something," I frown as the thought comes to me. I go to sit on the couch and grab one of the tarts she'd been eating.

"What? No! It's Jessica who prepared this room for me." She turns around and swats the tart from my hand.

"Hey!"

"How did you find this place?"

"Is it a big secret or something? You're just playing a game...unless this is like a hookup spot or-"

"You have the dirtiest ideas," she rolls her eye at me.

"So? Is it a big secret?"

She bites her lip a bit before sighing and sitting next to me.

"No and yes. Jessica helped me prepare this. And it's not that people can't know, it's just that I'm not ready to explain my reasons."

I watch her speak and I genuinely feel bad about the fact that the first thought that comes to my mind is that she's lying. I guess I've been playing detective too often now.

"Your secret's safe with me." I grab her hand and squeeze it lightly. Jordan nods but doesn't look like she plans on continuing this conversation. For a moment I think she wants me to go but then she offers me a tart.

"Peace offering?" I grin at her and she smiles.

"What were you doing wandering around the house?"

"I wasn't wandering, I went to get some milk and noticed that door," I lie easily. If she doubts me, she doesn't say.

"Well I guess we've got our little secret. Wanna play a game?"

||

I would've slept in Jordan's room the whole night if she hadn't woken me up at some point to go upstairs. I don't remember much about what happened after we started playing but I'm pretty sure I feel asleep on her laps. I hope she wasn't gagging. It's the last day at the beach house and I couldn't be more happier at the thought of getting the hell out of here and back to my house. Reyna's just as eager to see us, even if it's so that we can go and meet Nick. She doesn't know much about who sent that text but she knows that Avery spoke about it a lot, which is new. It seems as though Avery kept a lot of things hidden, even from her best friend. I get that though, there are some things that are just easier to say around some other people. I think I need to find Avery's other people.

I splash some extra sunscreen on my face before lying down on the mat. Yes, we're outside all day today. It's a beach theme. A party, if you'd allow. There's soft music at the background and people chatting on. No cynical games yet, which makes it Declan's cleanest attempt at a party.

Next to me, Lee violently taps the screen of his tab in an attempt to win victory over this gamer he's been battling with throughout the whole week. Once it's over he shuts it down and throws it so carelessly on the floor that I want to scream at him.

"So you and Jordan kissed and you didn't tell me?" He asks immediately the tab is down. I nearly choke on my spit.

"Is was a game of Would You Rather? Also you were asleep when I came in."

"Excuses." He turns away dramatically.

"Declan admitted it, that he and Avery were a thing."

This has him turning back.

"He did?"

"In a not so attractive way."

"So what now?"

"We'll keep tabs on him, he's obviously hiding something. When we get back we'll talk to Nick and-"

"Help!!" A banshee like scream cuts through our conversation. Everyone's heads turns towards the direction of the scream. Upstairs.

"That sounds like Jessica," Lee tilts his head. We spring up like...springs...and make a dash for it upstairs and to Jessica's room but someone's already beaten us to it.

"What the fuck is wrong with you dude!?" Damien spits at a guy I can't see. He's standing in front of Jessica, who's bawling all her makeup away and clenching her hands over her stomach like she's about to throw up. We step forward, making our presence known.

"What's happening?" I ask Damien between pants.

"This guy," he points at the source of everything and when I turn, I can't help but gape.

"Landon?"

"Dude I didn't do anything. I swear to God-"

"Oh why don't you just shut the fuck up you bitch ass prick!" Jessica screams and for that quick moment I'm reminded that she grew up in the hood before she was adopted.

I give Damien a strained look that says: tell me. He gives me a tired look that says: where do I start? And then he hands me the phone he's been holding.

"Landon videoed them together and posted it on Reddit," he explains.

"Jesus," I hear Lee whisper behind me. In the future I will laugh at that comment.

I scan the website and yes, the video is there. At it already has 200 views and even more comments.

Isn't that Jessica Jones?

LMAO, once in the hood always in the hood

She's got a great ass tho

Would love to bang her

I can't help but scrunch up my face before handing it to Lee.

"Do you think you can delete it?" I ask him.

"Yeah, I can try. Excuse me." He wanders off with the phone in his hand and I turn back to the three.

"Jessica just hear me out okay? I'd never post something like that about you babe I'm being framed!" Landon cries.

"Framed? And is it a freaking coincidence that the night before you posted this shit you so nicely asked me to let you video us?" She's left the protection of Damien now but I don't think she even needed it.

"I- it wasn't serious. I wasn't going to do it."

"I hate you. You're the worst mistake I ever made. I want you to get the fuck out of my property now or else I'll call my brother and make sure you don't leave here complete!"

That threat rings well. Declan would kill Landon in a minute if he saw this video, which he will, so Landon chooses his life over his babe and makes a run for it. After he's gone Jessica starts another round of bawling and Damien wraps his hand around her.

Well, at least he'll be able to comfort her. I leave them alone and go back to my room to get things packing, I don't think the party's gonna be lit again.