023

Twenty-three,                       small town drama

( ✦ ͙ ˚ / ˚₊·͟͟͟͟͟͟͞͞͞͞͞͞➳❥ )

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

       The only time August Thompson would ever find comfort in her home was when she was alone in its ambience.

       She discovered that whenever she was accompanied in the estate, it involved one of two things: Either chaos or gloom, depending on whatever her mom had to offer that day.

Since Lorelei had gotten with Robert however, it was mainly chaos, but the good kind, not the overwhelming sort that August usually dealt with.

It was probably why August had expected the same thing today, how when she would walk in she would be met with food already on the table ( made by him ) while her mom was snuggled up on the couch watching a movie. Everything with less trouble than usual.

       In fact, August was certain that today was the day where she would vent to her mom about everything that had happened, intending to seek comfort within Lorelei that she had been refusing the past few days.

       But, unfortunately, her mother beat her to it.

       "I'm sorry."

Those words had left Lorelei's mouth multiple times in between her cries throughout the span of five minutes.

Each time it was said, August found that it ached her more and more, having to witness Lorelei in utter pieces was sheer anguish to say the least. And no child wanted to see their mother sob in their arms.

"It's okay." August simply whispered, putting up a font of courage so her mother wouldn't suspect her to be upset. She took her hand and moved pieces of hair that covered Lorelei's face who lie sideways on her daughter's lap, all curled up in a blanket of misery. "You don't have to apologize for anything."

"But I do. I do have to." Her mom coughed out. "I didn't mean to, August. I really didn't mean to."

August's eyes grimaced back towards the ground where glass was shattered, decorating their floors with different sized shards that were difficult to see if one was left alone, indicating she needed to be careful when cleaning up. August only attempted not to frown, "Don't worry about it, okay?"

       "I'm sorry, I'm really sorry."

       With a sigh she allowed Lorelei to grab onto her hand and squeeze it, and she didn't even have to squeeze it that hard for August to feel like she lost her pulse. Though despite feeling as if she was losing blood within her mother's touch, she let Lorelei hold it while she continue to speak gently. "How about you go take a warm bath? Yeah? And once you're done this will all be cleaned up and we can sleep in the living room while watching movies."