Sister Act ~ Larissa

It was the last week of summer break, but not for me.

I was designing and reviewing the new syllabus for the year. As the head of creative arts, I was very busy.

It was an early morning, and I was sitting in my office, daydreaming about my days on the West End.

I'd spent my life from age 7 acting on stage, and musicals were the love of my life.

I'd retired a few years ago, closing my career as starring in 'Sister Act' as Deloris.

A knock on my door brought me back to reality.

"Hey Dani, are you alright?" Larissa asked, leaning on the doorframe, her arms folded.

God, she was so beautiful....wait Dani, you need to respond.

"Oh yeah yeah! Just going over some last-minute prep. But also, have you decided on what you want the musical to be? I need to sort out the rights and scripts, auditions and stuff."

Larissa sweet smile warped into a smirk and I knew what she was about to do.

"Yes I have actually." She started to look at her perfectly manicured nails.

"You're doing Sister Act." She giggled.

"As much as I love you being mischievous, I'm not doing that." I sighed, standing up.

"Why! It could give you a chance to re-live your last role." She argued, walking towards me.

"No that's just going to hurt! Deloris meant a lot to me and you know that!" I argued back, taking a step forward.

"I know that Dani. But just think about it?" She put on a cute pout.

I looked at her face, almost unable to resist.

"I'll let you cast yourself as Deloris." She added.

"No. I'm not being a middle-aged woman in a play for teenagers." I laughed.

"You aren't middle-aged. You're 37. I'm 44." She smiled.

"And you don't look a day over 20." I teased, making her cheeks flush a very gorgeous pink.

"I'll put Sister Act on. But just so you know I will be crying." I smiled.

She just nodded, still slightly red and walked out of the room.

~~~

School had been in session for a week and I was starting the audition process.

I was in the studio explaining how casting would work aswell as callbacks and rehearsals.

"So I'm going to ask you guys to move into groups based on what character you want, this does not restrict your chance of being cast for another role. And those who are auditioning for Deloris, I'm going to be very picky." I laughed at my own joke.

"Miss? Can you sing for us?" A student asked.

"What?"

"You were in Sister Act, weren't you? Can't you sing for us?"

Around the hall more murmurs came in agreement.

"Fine, those who know the show, pick a song."

"Fabulous baby!" I heard someone shout.

I saw it was Enid Sinclair.

"Orginal or Reprise?" I smirked

"Reprise."

"Intresting choice." I shrugged and found the backing track.

I took a swig of water and a deep breath before pressing play.

I stood in a place for the first few bars but as I got back into the swing of performing, the choreography started coming back.

I was in a world of my own as I started performing. All I had noticed was the students had taken seats in the chairs whike I was performing.

While singing, I shocked myself that I could still sing that well.

After the song faded out, I stopped breathless and the only sound that filled my ears was a round of applause.

It almost bought me to tears. I looked over to the door where I saw Larissa leaning against the door, clapping aswell.

"Students, start rehearsing your songs, lyrics are on my desk." I said quickly as i jogged over to Larissa.

"Hey." I blushed, looking down at the floor.

"Dani, that was...wow." She gasped, lifting my chin up and brushing my hair out of my face.

"Oh I surprised myself, I haven't sung that since... since well I left."

"Well, I think it was wonderful. Again why you should cast yourself as Deloris." She smirked.

"No. Not fair." I shook my head. "Now come sit with me, I need someone to chat to." I grabbed her wrist and dragged her over to my desk.

She laughed and followed.

We saw the students stood watching us.

"You all ok?" I asked, slightly concerned.

"We've decided collectively...we want you to play Deloris." Enid said, stepping forward.

I looked back to Larissa, raising my eyebrows and she just shrugged, stifling a laugh.

"Guys, I had my time, it's your time to shine."

"Then we refuse to perform."

I was shocked.

"Larissa I swear did you put them up to this?"

"No." She put her hands up defensively.

"But darling, they're right, you're the perfect fit." She came up behind me and wrapped her hands around my waist.

"Rissy. No." I turned around in her arms, my arms wrapping around her neck.

"Yes. For me." She whispered.

"Fine." I sighed, I rested my head on her chest.

~~~

After months of rehearsals and teaching the students songs and choreography, it was closing night of our show.

I was exhausted but happy, I didn't know playing the role again would bring me so much joy.

During the interval, the whole cast plus Larissa seemed a bit skittish.

"Rissy what have you done?" I pulled her aside.

"N–nothing." She stuttered.

"Larissa."

"Nothing!"

I just let it be.

Act 2 contained more solo numbers so when during the Reprise of 'Sister Act' I was shocked to hear and see the cast I originally performed with on stage.

I saw Larissa in the audience and she blew me a kiss as she confirmed she'd bought them back.

By the end of the number I was in tears but had one more number to do.

For the big finale, the students and cast I performed with came on stage with me.

It was surreal and through tears I sung and danced, utterly over the moon.

We did our curtain call and after the final bows, I ran off stage and through the audience, jumping into Larissa's arms and kissing her.

I could tell she was taken by surprise but she kissed back with the same passion.

"You are literally an angel." I mumbled.

"Then take me to heaven baby." She giggled.

"Oh I'm so Fabulous baby." I laughed and kissed her again.

1085 words

Rushed and un edited.

But HI GUYS! Happy New Year!