You belong with me

Your best friend Gwendoline was around your house crying over her girlfriend for the third time this week.

Little did she know, you had a crush on her. Ever since you met when you were 7, even if you didn't know what love and being gay was, you had always loved her.

She was laid in your lap, sobbing her heart out. You knew her girlfriend wasn't good for her. She'd come over for a girl's night and her girlfriend, Sophia had phoned her and Gwen had made a joke that she didn't take very well, but you found hilarious. You got her humour much better.

After Gwendoline had fallen asleep, you carried her up to your room, tucking her into bed, before putting your headphones in. Another thing about Gwendoline and Sophia, they had totally different music tastes and she absolutely hated the music you and Gwen both liked. Music was an escape for Gwen because she had been through so much as a young girl and you knew her story but Sophia refused to listen.

Sophia ended up coming around a few hours later, wanting to take Gwen home.

"Where is she y/n?" She storms into your house.
"Hey y/n, how are you? Is my girlfriend ok after I was rude to her?" You start to mock her which only angered her more.
"And also why are you in a mini skirt and heels, where have you been?"
"Why are you in a t-shirt and leggings?" She snaps back.
"Gwen's upstairs, asleep." You sigh, taking her to your room.

She follows and Gwen was still sound asleep. Sophia starts to shake her and she sits up abruptly.

"Gwen, we are going home." She snaps, taking her hand.
"No Soph, it's girls' night." She groans, wiping the sleep from her eyes.
"Home. Now!" She demands
"Sophia, go home. We will see you in the morning." You give her a fake smile as she storms out.

You sit next to Gwen and wrap your arm around her. She melts into your side. You sit there for a while before you both move to lie under the blanket. She morphs into your side like you are supposed to fit together perfectly. You plant a little kiss on her forehead before both falling asleep.

A few days after that incident, you were sat working. It was already 11 pm but you had to finish it. You hear the honk of a car horn and look outside your window.

It was Gwen. You rushed downstairs and opened the door to find her almost in tears. You rush out to her, holding her in a tight hug. You both make it inside and you sit with her on the sofa. You start to tickle her, attempting to make her forget and not get hysterical. Her loud cackle-like laugh could be heard for miles. A smile was painted on her face, a type that you hadn't seen since Sophia.

"What happened?" You asked once you'd both calmed down.
"Nothing! I'm fine."
"Fine? I know you better than that. And I have to ask, what are you doing with a girl like that?"
"What?" She was confused.
"Why are you dating someone like Sophia? She makes you upset and angry and treats you like shit! I mean you drive to my house in the middle of the night, whenever she's upset you, it's a 45 minute drive Gwen. I always make you laugh, even when you are about to cry. What more do you want?" You start becoming angry and upset.
"I mean I've done so much to help and protect you and you don't see how much I put on hold for you. How shit of a girlfriend Sophia is. WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO SEE IT GWEN?" You yell, standing up and pacing up and down the room.
"What are you talking about?" She stands up and envelops you in her long arms.
"When are you going to see it? When are you going to look at me like you do her? When are you going to look at me in another way?" You sob, letting everything out.
"Are you saying that you like me?" Gwendoline takes a deep breath as she turns you to face her.
"Because if you are, I'm sorry." And she plants a kiss on your forehead before walking out and driving off.

Over the next few days, you were heartbroken and could barely work. You were a teacher at a fancy private school but it didn't take your mind off of Gwendoline. She'd blocked you on everything so you couldn't even apologise.

It was very hectic at the school, the annual dance was coming up. It was a big deal and was very expensive. You were in charge and spent the next week decorating and planning.

The night of the dance, you got ready early, before making your way to the school. As the students started to arrive, they noticed Gwendoline wasn't with you. You had taken her to every single one before and they all loved her.

It was quite a sad dance, you didn't talk with anyone, you didn't dance with anyone, you just sat in the corner. The students finally forced you onto the floor and you danced with them, at least they'd be happy.

Once the evening was over, you went home and cried for hours, even they knew how much Gwen meant to you.

Monday rolled around and you dragged yourself into school, you gave all your classes some busy work so you could just sit in your thoughts. You were shattered by the time you had to teach the 6th years
"Oh and homework, work in groups or all together I don't really care to make a presentation on who or what makes you happy. Thank you." They left and since that was the final lesson of the day, you could go home.

You allowed your students to work on their homework in lesson as they had decided to do it all together. They were very hushed about it.

Friday soon came and you had them last again, after a busy day of teaching, you were dragged to the main hall to watch the presentation.

"We agreed to do this together but there is two people who make us happy. Gwendoline and Ms y/n." One of your students said. You winced at the mention of Gwen but had to listen.
"Ms y/n is a great teacher and really kind and fun. She always makes dances and school events exciting!" Another added.
"And Gwendoline because she makes Ms y/n happy. We realised that you and Gwen had fallen out when she didn't come to the dance and you've been really sad since around that time and before. So that's why Gwendoline makes us happy."

You take a deep breath before standing up to say something.
"Than-"
"And that's why we convinced her to come today." They finished.

Gwendoline stepped in front of all of them. You took a deep breath as you walked towards her.
"Why are you here?" You say quietly
"Because you are sad."
"You made me sad."
"So I'm going to make you happy."
"Wha-" and her lips we on yours, in a soft kiss. You pulled away blushing.

"That did work." You giggled, smiling for the first time in weeks.
"You belong with me. And I know that now. I realised that you are the person I want to spend my life with, wake up to every morning and see before bed every night."
"Wel that can be arranged." You wink before pulling her in for another kiss.

1285 words

Gwen<3