01 | la familia Taverde

A normal day for the Taverdes was a catastrophe to most

I never do my morning shifts at the wine house.

First of all, no one would dare grab a bottle of wine at the break of dawn and secondly, why would going to a wine house be the first thing you think about when you wake up?

Anyway, Papa still insists I sit at the front counter and keep the two doors open, he would go downstairs at around 6 am and fling those wooden doors, flipping the sign to open, and then knock on my door to tell me to start doing my shift.

For a man who was very particular about what time to drink his wine, he sure loved to open the winery at a strange hour.

"Y/n, Mija, time to wake up!" Papa knocked on my door, his voice already sounding energetic.

I grumble and groan but kick off the blankets anyway because I know if I didn't, Papa would walk back to my room and levitate me all the way to the front counter.

I got changed into my day dress, walked downstairs, and lazily rested on the front counter.

My family, the Taverdes, owns the winery and grape from here in Encanto and my family takes great pride in it as well.

So proud, in fact, that we spend our summers making personalized wine bottles with our seal and name on them.

And working with glass and fire isn't exactly as fun as you think during the scorching summer.

"Stop glaring at the wooden counter, Mija, it did nothing to hurt you," Papa suddenly said by the door, several floating crates right behind him.

"I wasn't glaring at the counter, Papa," I heard him laugh.

"Mija, I am deaf, not blind," he said. He wasn't completely deaf... well, not yet. And unfortunately, Tia Julieta couldn't heal him. Apparently.

It was another reason why I hated the Madrigals so much.

Papa placed the crates inside the counter, while I immediately counted each one of them like routine.

"You should smile, Mija, counter that frown of yours," he reached over to the empty barrels to our left and levitated them all, "It is too early to be frowning so much."

"Smiles aren't for sale right now, Papa," I retorted, resting my head at the palm of my hand, elbow resting at the counter.

Papa chuckled, directing the huge empty barrels to the door, "You always make no sense in the morning."

I scoffed but a smile was already creeping at the corner of my lips, "You're the one that makes no sense, no buys wine at 6 am, Papa."

But Papa only shrugged, "We have our own strange qualities, I suppose. I'll be cleaning these at the back, go help your mother when she starts cooking."

I lazily nodded, watching Papa walk out the door with five heavy barrels, floating as if they were only as light as a feather.

"Good morning, Y/n!" My brother, Leo, jumped down the stairs, his crow's nest blonde hair going all over the place, his ruana wrinkled from sleep, and a book already clutched in one hand.

"Don't tell me you spent the whole night reading," I said, Leo nervously laughed and looked away.

"Oh my gosh," I muttered.

"Please don't tell Mama, she'd kill me," he begged, sitting next to me at the counter.

I chuckled, "Doubt it, you're mama's favorite little boy," I teased.