02 - las burbujas de la ira

Where a blooming friendship, unfortunately, met its early end

As I cycled along the plaza of Encanto, placing the crates of fruits, bottled juice, and wines on the doorsteps of my neighbors– I didn't want to interact with anyone okay– I looked around town to see anything new that was going on but all I can observe is people frantically preparing for Camilo's gift ceremony.

All this effort for a 7-year-old, what other town other than Encanto would do all this?

I can't deny I was jealous, I was a day older than Camilo and no one put this much effort on my birthday that's for sure.

I continued to make the deliveries in silence but of course, if live in a place where the Madrigals exist, you never have a chance for silence.

"Y/N!" I heard Mirabel and Camilo exclaim from the distance. It was my mistake really. I was biking way too close to Casita.

The two Madrigals rush down the hill and towards me, completely disregarding the fact gravity and Newton's law of motion exist. The two rolled over and collided with me, pushing me and the cart to the ground.

"OW!" I exclaimed, but Mirabel and Camilo only laughed. Well, they weren't the ones squished between them and the hard stone road.

"Get off me you two," I groaned at the pain, Mirabel then helped me up and pulled me into a hug.

"I'm so excited!" she exclaimed while brushing off the dust from my dress.

" Why are you excited, it's Camilo's gifting ceremony," I asked.

Mirabel nodded, "But this is the first time I actually get to see a gifting ceremony. It's gonna be a special day for many of us."

I gave in and nodded, I understood what Mirabel meant. My gifting ceremony was magical and I couldn't wait to tell Mirabel all about it.

"You're coming to my ceremony right, Y/n?" Camilo asked. I turned to him and nodded.

"We're delivering your fruits and wine, we HAVE to be there," I told him.

"Did you forget, 'Milo?" Mirabel butted in, Camilo and I turned to her in confusion, " We're having a little dinner party at the Taverde's after the ceremony."

Camilo ah-ed as he remembered, "Oh yeah, I remember."

"Wait, Papa didn't tell me that," I told them. Mirabel and Camilo looked at each other and then at me.

"Maybe he forgot?" Camilo answered but I could read from his face, that he was lying. It was kinda hard for Camilo to hide things from me.

But I knew as well that usually when they lied, they were hiding some party or gift so I just let it slide.

"Anyway, I have to finish delivering these before the party, bye!" I got on my bike and cycled away.

"Wait, we want to help!" Mirabel caught up to me, Camilo not far behind.

"So that it can be faster," Camilo added and I just sighed.

"Okay, hop on," They happily hop on the cart and bike and the three of us cycle around Encanto, delivering twice as fast.

We finished at around 5 pm, just in time for me to go back home and get dressed.

Mama had already laid down my dress on my bed, a simple green and brown dress with lace and frills at the hem and embroidered patters on the neckline. It was a dress Mama made for my birthday. But not my gift ceremony dress of course.

I rushed of my room, fully dressed when Papa pulled me aside.

"Mija," he started, I looked at him, listening intently. "I must remind you to not show your gifts in public."