06 - Una amistad

Since my encounter with Mirabel, she has been trying to befriend me nonstop. Following me everywhere I go that I couldn't conduct any pranks for weeks. 

She would even go as far as follow me to my house, where she would spend dinner with my family. Like, what the heck!

One time, I was busy preparing for another prank with Diago and Hugo but Mirabel appeared out of nowhere with a stack full of books. Apparently, she wanted to share more things she learned from school. Which lead me, Diago, and Hugo stuck in an hour long study session with Mirabel. 

The other times, she would insist for me to help her with her family chores which I decline of course. But I don't know how she does it, but I always end up stuck helping her out. Maybe manipulation is secretly her gift. 

Her persistence eventually made me cave, anything to stop her from coming over my parents house. 

"Maybe I can suggest to Tia Generosa to let you help more in the winery, keep you busy you know. Since you keep complaining on how easily bored you get-"

"Fine, fine!" I yelled out while I was picking grapes from our vineyard, it was currently spring and the grapes have began to bloom. Which meant making wine season was close. 

My least favorite part of making wine. 

Mirabel looked up from the vines, "You'll help out in the winery?"

I sighed, "No, I'll be your friend. Just stop coming over to my house."

Sooner or later my parents will have enough ideas on how to keep me from pranking with all the ideas she's been giving them. 

Mirabel gleamed from where she was, "Great, we could always hang out at Casita."

My eyes widened as I popped my head over the vines, "What! no!"

"Why not?"

"Cause... I don't want to."

I couldn't tell her that I didn't want to come over Casita's cause Camilo was there. Since that flour incident, I have been avoiding him more. 

Mirabel shrugged me off, "Alright, how about the plaza?"

"Yeah, sure, whatever." And I zoned out since then. 

...

Hanging out with Mirabel wasn't that bad, she taught me how to stitch and that was fun. And her sharing her own struggles with her own family was rather relatable for me. 

I never allow myself to think about it, but I noticed how my powers were completely different to my brothers' powers. 

Even Papa wonders how I even got my own powers. 

While we were eating in the plaza, Mirabel suddenly asked something. 

"Why do you always were that firefly pin? Is it a club or something?"

I looked down on the brooch pinning the two sides of my color, where my firefly rested. 

"It's my family crest," I simply answered. 

"Oh, that's so cool. I wish we had a family crest," Mirabel said, I looked at her in disbelief. 

"Don't you have the candle as your family crest?" I genuinely asked, Mirabel gave it a little thought before nodding. 

"Yeah, I guess it is. But why a firefly?" 

I looked ahead of me as I tried to remember what Papa said about the brooch. 

Our family crest is a firefly, because our family always looks for hope and shine brightest during the darkest of times.

"It's because the Taverde family shines brightest during the darkest times, always looking for hope," I echoed my father's words.