05 - la testarudez

For 3 years, Y/n's troublemaking reputation began to grow. The people in the market would cower when they saw the little girl skipping along in the plaza, the elders would tsk in disappointment and the kids her age would run away. 

No one knew how the girl pulled of her mischievous pranks but every single one of them would always end up being successful and someone's day would be ruined. 

The Madrigals were of course notified of this nuisance and they were quick to warn the Taverdes about her attitude but at this point, the family had given up.

The lectures never went through her thick skull and her gift only contributed to her scheming antics, tying her down was an unattainable option. 

Camilo couldn't believe how much Y/n had changed, he knew her his entire life and grew up together but since they were 7, they stopped talking to each other and Y/n became the most unwanted person to visit any house. 

Now 10 years old, he didn't know what has gotten into his old friend the past 3 years but he certainly didn't like it. Heck, he can even say he hated the new her. 

"She's a bad influence, Camilo, Mirabel avoid her as much as you can." 

That's what Abuela always told him and Mirabel and they followed her instructions to a T and Camilo made sure to avoid the troublemaking girl but somehow they keep crossing paths. 

"Oje! Camilo, Wussup!" Y/n exclaimed, a snarky grin resting on her lips. She stood before him, looking down with an amused hummed, "Still taller than you, heh."

Camilo's face began to  warm up in anger and this only amused the tall girl, "Aw, is little 'milo going to cry?"

She feigned a frown, "I send my condolences to your poor height, Madrigal-"

"Shut up, Y/n, it's not funny," Camilo remarked.

Y/n simply grinned, "Who said I was trying to be?" She suddenly stepped back and before Camilo could react, a bucket of flour was poured over his head, taking away his vision. All he could hear was Y/n's high pitched gremlin laugh fading away as she walked away. 

Camilo could only scream in anger. 

Y/n's POV

Ever since I began my so-called rebellion, to say my life has gotten any better would be a lie. My family's disappointment in my actions has been prominent since this entire thing began. Leo hasn't been talking to me a lot, but Hugo and Diago were on the same boat. 

All I had to do was take all the credit to keep their names clean. 

So it's a win-win I suppose. 

I was walking away from Camilo, who was probably now covered in flour. The mere thought of it made me chuckle. 

But I suppose Camilo wasn't the type to give up easily. 

"Y/n!"

I turned around, Camilo marched my way, covered head to toe with four, in anger. 

"Oh my goodness, what happened to you, Camilo?  Don't tell me you tried lifting bags of flour again." 

I paused.

"You forget you don't have Luisa's gift."

Camilo stopped in his tracks, his eyes reflecting how hurt he was from my words that I began to feel guilty. He trusted me with that information most of all. 

"Apologize," he bellowed. 

I wanted to, don't get me wrong, but was I really going to back down that quickly?

No.

"What if I don't want to, Madrigal? What are you gonna do then, tell on me?" I mocked. 

His face began to turn to a dark shade of red in anger, "Is your brain broken or something? You did something wrong, you should apologize."

I yawned, "But that's so boring-"

"Just apologize, Y/n." 

"Ugh, you're such a goody two shoes, Madrigal, it's boring."

Camilo throws his hands up in the air in frustration and seemed to have given up as he began to walk away. 

"And Y/n wins again," I celebrated, dancing and faking a victory trumpet. I glanced Camilo's way and saw him wiping a tear away.

Perhaps somewhere inside me broke but at that moment, I could feel nothing more than victory.

For that was something I have searching for these past 3 years, seeing the Madrigals broken, real, and imperfect. 

Ever since, they have always been picture perfect Madrigal, and I just want, just once, for them to seem like normal human beings. For them to suffer just as my family does. This is the only reason I do this. 

and I got it. 

"Why do you do this? That hurt Milo." Someone suddenly spoke from behind me, making me jump. Fortunately not accidently phasing out like I did before. 

It was Mirabel, the only Madrigal I don't hate. 

I look away, the guilt now creeping up on me.

I kept my front anyway, "What's it to you, shouldn't you be angry too? Why does the Madrigals only get praise, just because they have fancy gifts."

Mirabel shrugged, "As long as my family is happy, I'm happy. Is your family happy with what you're doing?"

I felt choked up, tears slowly forming. For 3 years, which considerably is a long time to prank people, never has it crossed my mind. 

"No," I whispered.

From the corner of my eye, I could see Mirabel softly smile. I had no idea what she was thinking, it got me on edge in fear. 

She held out a hand, "I'm about to have some arepas by the mango trees, wanna come with?"

I stared at her outstretched hand, baffled. Why would she try to befriend me? Didn't she just watch me bully her cousin?

Or does she secretly feel vengeful against her own family?

Her outstretched hand was tempting to take but to take it feels like admitting to defeat, how could I befriend a member of the family that I hate so much. Even if Mirabel wasn't exactly someone I despised. 

I sneered, "No thanks," before walking away quickly. 

But who knew that Mirabel was determined to become my friend. 

Yes, Y/n is currently a big menace. But I kinda wanted to give her a big character development through out the story.

I admit, I'm kinda struggling to find the flow of the story, it doesn't help I'm fighting writer's block. So i guess expect me to re edit this a lot.