12 - confundido y en conflicto

After the quake ceased, Mirabel came running into the room, frantic.

"Mirabel, are you okay?" I said but she couldn't hear me.

"The house is in danger!" She yelled. "The tiles were falling and there were cracks everywhere, and the candle almost went out."

For a minute everyone was considered as we walked out of the room and stared at the bright and glistening candle on the window sill. There were no cracks and now tiles were shattered on the ground and yet I still found myself compelled to believe Mirabel.

She wasn't the type to just joke about these things. That's my job.

"I swear, I saw it. I'm not doing this to cause any trouble, I promise."

Abuela held out a hand authoritatively, "Enough." She then turned around to the crowd.

"There is nothing wrong with La casa Madrigal. The magic is strong!... and so are the drinks," the town laughed.

Music returned to the party and although the town looked skeptical to just return to having fun, they eventually did and the entire fiasco was forgotten but from the corner of my eye, I could Mirabel being scolded and that was an all too familiar feeling for me.

I walked down the stairs and followed Mirabel and Tia Julieta to the kitchen where Mirabel was being tended to her wounds.

"Do you really think I would do this for attention? I would never cause trouble on Antonio's night," Mirabel defended and all Tia Julieta could do was try to comfort her.

"If it makes you feel any better, you have one supporter," I said as I made my presence known. Mirabel gave me a soft smile before walking over to give me a hug.

"I'm glad you're here," she whispered and I hugged her back.

I wanted to comfort her about the magic because I know for a fact that my family felt it too. I saw those tiny winces and those desperate attempts to stay awake. This danger thing Mirabel was talking about was clearly affecting my family too.

But I couldn't reveal to her the truth. Mirabel was a family oriented person and even though I trust her, with just the right nudge, Mirabel could spill the truth to her family.

And I wasn't about to cause trouble to mine.

Mirabel continued to talk about what she saw, with Tia Julieta gradually growing concerned for her daughter. It was a look that I was all too familiar with. Eventually, Mirabel stopped talking and decided to go back to her room and at the same time, the party was already at it's end.

I left the kitchen and went back to Antonio's room where people began to file out of the room and bidding each other goodbyes. I stood at the corner waiting for my family to finish saying goodbye to EVERYONE. This is what I get, I guess, for being born into a crazy, social family.

While I waited at the corner, just beside the big front door, I could see Camilo standing beside Mirabel, comforting her in one way or another.

It definitely felt strange to see him in such a sensitive state, all my life, especially during my time in the refinery school, I could only imagine a smug little grin on his face, every single time. So to see him have a softer smile, with a posture that felt comforting, I didn't know how to feel. Especially after what happened earlier.

"Ready to go, Y/n?" Hugo asked as he was about to leave the house, I could only nod, eyes still locked on Camilo until he glanced at me and I immediately scrambled away.

"Uh, Hugo! Wait for me!" I yelped, running to catch up to him.

That was dangerous.

The next day, I'm pretty sure everyone had a blasted headache and I couldn't help but feel the temptation to do a little prank or two on them. You know, make their hangovers a little bit more exciting.

But before I could even walk out the door, bright yellow pieces of glass formed infront of me and revealing Mariposa in glass form.

"Yo, dork, your mom's calling you from the kitchen," the mirror echoed.

"Seriously, Mari? You're that lazy you have to mirror to call me?" I said looking up to the balcony where Mariposa was about to sit down on one of our hammocks. She only shrugged before tuning out everything that she was expecting me to say next.

Which, jokes on her, I said nothing.

I walk over to the kitchen where Mama and Papa were waiting for me, including Diago and Hugo. I felt a pit in my stomach begin to grow. Whenever Hugo and Diago are involved it was never a good sign.

"Did you rat me out?!" I eyed them but Hugo raised his hands and eyebrows claiming his innocence while Diago only shrugged.

"Y/n, come sit, we wanted to tell something about the festival," Mama started and I was feeling even more nervous. What could it be about? More chores? I have to hang out with the Madrigals again? What is it?!

"Well, Tia Alma has asked us to have you three do a little performance for the festival. Remember when you three were a little dance group?" Papa said softly as he reminisced on those times.

"Ay, papa, I don't want to do that. We were young, that isn't a good idea," Diago retorted, sinking further into his seat as he crossed his arms.

"But Mijo, it would be the perfect opportunity to put yourselves into a good, better light. I don't want you three to be known as the troublemakers for the rest of your lives," Mama pleaded. Hugo and I looked at each other and then at Diago.

"Y/n, Tia Alma suggested you do this, the entire town has been talking and not in a good way," Papa added as he reached for my hand and squeezed it tight.

"I don't like knowing that the people of this town are talking bad about you," he said with a frown.

"Then we should stop them, why do we have to be the ones to act all nice," I remarked, standing up but Papa pulled me down gently.

"We do not want another mess, mija, it's already bad as it is with what's happening to Casita-" Papa abruptly paused, eyes wide as he glanced at Mama who looked equally as panicked.

I shift glances at the two of them and then at Hugo and Diago.

"What's wrong with Casita?"

Hi! it's been a while AHAHAHAH. I haven't been updating because of school and a lot of other commitments and i was initially thinking on discontinuing this book since I've already written Suerte but I have been receiving a lot of feedback from this book so I decided to finish it.

So expect more chapters later this week or the next. Thank you for all the support

see you on the next chapter!