Chapter 9

Yeonjun ignited a candle in remembrance of Mr. Park's passing, while both Yeonjun and Taehyun engaged in prayer. 

Meanwhile, Chaeryeong remained motionless, lost in contemplation about the consequences of her questioning and the anger it had provoked in Mr. Park. What if I hadn't been the one to inquire? Would Mr. Park Gyu-sik still be alive? Chaeryeong pondered silently, her gaze fixed upon Yeon-ran.

After the prayer, Chaeryeong found a quiet spot and put on her headphones to drown out the noise. However, she noticed Choi Yeon-ran walking by and quickly approached her.

 "My first words..." Chaeryeong began, and Yeon-ran looked at her. 

"The first words I ever spoke in front of people were 'inflicting bodily injury.' And you, Ms. Choi Yeon-ran, were the first person to tell me that I would become an attorney. I was surprised. My very first case was to change your charge to the crime of inflicting bodily injury," she explained.

 "What do you mean?" Yeon-ran asked. 

 "It was my first time doing everything, so I wanted to excel at it. I was driven by my desire to be good, and I became greedy. I'm sorry for causing... Mr. Gyu-sik's death," Chaeryeong said sadly.

 Yeon-ran sighed. "Why do you blame yourself?" she asked Chaeryeong. 

 "It was my husband's fault for cursing at a little kid he saw for the first time in 20 years, instead of greeting her," Yeon-ran added. 

 "And it's my fault for swinging the iron at him without knowing his time..." She paused, her voice choked with emotion, before continuing, "was almost up. He always complained about his head hurting." 

 "I was too harsh on him," she finally said, tears streaming down her face. Chaeryeong moved closer, wanting to hug Yeon-ran, but ultimately decided to give her space, thinking it would be better.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trial by jury, a public case. The charge of assault with an iron was made on July 20. She was living off her husband's pension, and the villa was registered under her husband's name. All of this information was written on a small board in Chaeryeong's office. As Chaeryeong stared at the board, Taehyun entered her office and handed her some papers. "I have brought Mr. Park Gyu-sik's autopsy report," he said. Chaeryeong sat down on her chair and began to read it.

 "The cause of death is a brain haemorrhage, as we expected," Taehyun began, taking a seat. "There was a recurrence of the subdural hematoma that he had surgery for." While Chaeryeong was engrossed in studying Mr. Park's autopsy report, Taehyun decided to take a look at the board.

 "That iron..." he started.

 "It resembles something. The thing in Moby Dick--" Taehyun was interrupted by Chaeryeong.

 "The sperm whale?" she asked, surprised. 

 "Yes, the sperm whale," he said, pointing at her. "Gosh, she really beat a person with that scary-looking thing," he joked. "I guess he's lucky not to have died on the spot," he added.

 "What's the matter?" Taehyun asked, feeling awkward as Chaeryeong zoned out and stared at him.

 Chaeryeong shifted in her chair. "There are a lot of things that you can't do at work. Repeating words, saying strange things, and being blunt!" Chaeryeong said, recalling the advice she received from Yeonjun, Ryujin, and her father. 

 "Is that so? I didn't know," Taehyun replied.

 "Especially!" Chaeryeong began. 

 "Talking about whales! Unless it's absolutely necessary," she stated.