Chapter 8

A man wheeled Mr. Park into the courtroom, leaving him at the stand while Chaeryeong avoided making eye contact with him. Mr. Park raised his hand and declared, "I swear, with complete honesty and without any hidden agenda, to speak only the truth. And if I deceive, I am prepared to face the consequences of perjury." He then took his seat.

 Yeonjun glanced at Chaeryeong and said, "Attorney Lee, it's your turn."

 "What?" she responded, confused. 

 "'I could understand why the old lady hit him. He deserved it,'" Yeonjun repeated Taehyun's words. 

 "This is what Taehyun said after witnessing Mr. Park cursing at you," he added. 

 "The witness may be questioned now," the judge announced.

 "Attorney Lee, go ahead and provoke him to start cursing," Yeonjun instructed her. 

 "Go get cursed at," Yeonjun said. 

 "Alright, fine," Chaeryeong reluctantly agreed.

 "Counsel, aren't you going to begin the questioning?" the judge asked. 

 Chaeryeong slowly rose from her seat and grabbed her notebook. As Mr. Park took a sip of water, he noticed Chaeryeong approaching him. She bowed to the judge. 

 "I am Attorney Lee Chaeryeong, representing Choi Yeon-ran," she introduced herself.

 "Hey!" Mr. Park shouted, pointing at Chaeryeong. 

 "Didn't I tell you to stay out of my sight?!" he added. 

Yeon-ran wanted to intervene, but the security guards instructed her to remain seated. 

 "Oh my goodness," people whispered, gossiping about Mr. Park's behavior."What's wrong with him?" they wondered. 

 "All of you are conspiring against me!" Mr. Park accused, pointing at the jury."You all want to see me die of anger, don't you?!" he yelled again.

 "Witness," the judge called out.

 "Did you bring me here just to show me this?!" he shouted, grabbing his coat as if to strike Chaeryeong.The security guards rushed to stop him. 

 "Stop!" a man yelled."What is all this nonsense?!" 

 "Witness, what are you doing?" the judge asked, clearly irritated by his behavior. 

 "Damn it!!! You're going to regret spewing your damn nonsense like that, you bastard!!!" he yelled at Chaeryeong, striking the security guards.

Mr. Park retrieved his water bottle and proceeded to spray Chaeryeong with its contents. The sudden action caused a few individuals in the courtroom to rise in astonishment, while Yeon-ran attempted to navigate her way past Yeonjun in order to reach her husband. 

"Damn you, old man!" she shouted at her husband.

 "Enough already!" she shouted once more. 

"You're all conspiring!" Mr. Park yelled. 

"We're going to have a ten-minute break," the judge said.

 "Are you even capable of empathy?!" Yeon-ran yelled at her husband. 

"You're all colluding!" Mr. Park yelled.

 Chaeryeong covered her ears again, as the shouting was causing her pain.

 "Cease this at once!" 

"You brat! Release your grip on me!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the ten-minute break concluded, Chaeryeong commenced her speech. "As you all witnessed, Mr. Park is not an easy husband to live with," she addressed the jury, then turned her attention to the seated individuals. "He is excessively suspicious of his wife and resorts to using severely abusive language. Despite all of this, the defendant, Choi Yeon-ran, remained by his side throughout their entire lives and never objected to taking care of him during his dementia. The defendant may have impulsively struck her husband out of anger, but she is not a wife who attempted to murder him." She locked eyes with the judge. "To the defendant, who acknowledges her wrongdoing and feels remorse--" Her words were interrupted as some individuals entered the courtroom and began whispering to those near the judge. Yeonjun approached Taehyun to share the whispers.

 The prosecutor stood up and announced, "Your honor, the victim, Mr. Park, passed away while being transported to the hospital."

 "What? What did you say?" Yeon-ran questioned.

 "Who died?" she exclaimed, rising from her seat. 

 "My husband died?" she uttered sadly, then collapsed. 

 "We would like to change the charge from attempted murder to murder," the prosecutor declared.

 "Please grant permission for the change in indictment," he added, while Yeonjun stared at him in shock. 

 "What just happened?"

"How could this happen?" the people in the courtroom began gossiping once again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a short chapter today sorry lmao im feeling lazy today