28. I Love You

The coronation happened in public and Lexie stood right behind Historia the whole time. While she had the soldiers and the love of her people, she constantly felt the need to grab Lexie's hand for support. And she was there all the way. Finally, Historia felt like she had a real family.

Lexie's parents hadn't come out yet. Lexie worried where they might be, she had gone to the manor, they had taken food and some of their clothes, a couple drawings from them too. But there was no letter, no instructions to follow, nothing. They just vanished completely. Without her parents around, Lexie was given the title of Duchess and was now in charge of her family's affairs.

Her friends had a brief moment of calm while the higher ups decided on what to do next and settle everything down about the coup. So Lexie thought it'd be nice to invite her friends over to her manor.

"Your highness, you have visitors." Her butler asked as she went through her father's office.

"Oh, let's go meet them." Lexie said. Lexie walked to the stairs and saw her friends waiting for her in the lobby, all looking around in awe. "Guys!" She called with a big smile as she went down the stairs.

Armin stared in awe, she was wearing a long dress, tiara and shiny jewelry, she looked as the royalty she was part of. Mesmerizing and gorgeous. She greeted them happily.

"Well, Duchess Lexie, it is an honor to be invited to your home." Connie said in a joking manner.

"I'm happy you can all be here. I told the cook to make some sandwiches and other snacks. Oh, also some pie."

"Ohhh, I love youuu." Sasha said, her mouth already watering. "Marry me."

"I think someone else will beat you to that, Sasha." Jean said and nudged Armin who blushed madly, Lexie also blushed a little.

"Then can I marry your cook?" Sasha asked.

"She is happily married, but you are welcome to lunch or dinner anytime." Lexie said, Sasha yelled in glee.

"You'll probably regret that." Eren commented.

"The garden is ready for you." The butler said.

"Thank you, George. Please make sure you also try the dessert." Lexie said to her butler as he showed them to the garden. Armin waited a little and grabbed Lexie's hand to stop her from following with the others.

"Lexie, uh... can we talk?" Armin asked.

"Of course, let's take the long route." Lexie said and guided Armin through another hall. Armin was not smiling, he was serious and there was conflict in his eyes, it was easy for her to notice. "What is on your mind?"

"Well, when you told Historia about how you were raised to fulfill duties, you mentioned you were also ready to marry off. It made me wonder... what... how do you feel about me?" Armin asked sheepishly.

"Armin." Lexie stopped them and faced him. "I meant what I said to Historia, I knew that I wouldn't be able to marry for love. So... I wanted... I want to be with you and long as I can."

"Were you... just expecting I'd be around anyways as your lover? Or maybe that I'd die in battle soon and you wouldn't have to worry about a relationship with me anymore?"

"No, of course not." Lexie protested. "Armin I've always wanted to keep you safe. I thought... I thought there would come a day when I couldn't give you what you wanted anymore, but I... I want you to be happy, because... I love you, Armin." She said, surprising him. "I love you and I want you to be happy, even if it couldn't be not with me." Some tears were building in her eyes. Hearing her, Armin quickly grabbed her waist and pulled her closer.