25. Kidnapping Eren and Historia

Levi's new squad consisted on Jean, Sasha, Connie, Mikasa, Armin, Eren and Historia. They were basically in hiding, keeping Eren and Historia safe. Armin found himself staring at the distance in hopes to see the familiar red head riding towards them, having found out anything, or just checking up on them. He even looked around in the city when they went for supplies, but she was nowhere to be seen and they hadn't heard anything from her. He repeatedly asked Levi and Hange if there were any news from Lexie, but even they were worried at her lack of appearance.

Pastor Nick had been tortured and killed, which means they no longer had anyone who could give them information. And then, Commander Erwin was arrested right after they were ordered to give up Eren and Historia. They were not going to do that, but they had to find out what was really going on.

Their plan consisted on disguising Jean as Eren and Armin as Historia to be falsely kidnapped while the real Eren and Historia went in a carriage through the city. Hange had lent Levi three of their soldiers to do this... but the plan failed. It was expected by the enemy, some kind of elite squad led by Kenny.

Seeing Kenny again was troubling for Levi, not only did he know what he was capable of, he also knew he knew him back, which made fighting against him all the more difficult. Besides, Kenny's whole team that had an anti-personnel ODM gear with pistols instead of blades, made to fight humans. Levi's squad had the disadvantage.

The 104th cadets were able to trap the men kidnapping Jean and Armin, but those were only amateurs. After hearing shots, they quickly joined Levi perusing the carriage. Kenny's squad had drugged Eren and Historia with darts, they were passed out and the fabric covering the cart had been broken.

"They are trained to fight against people. Do not hesitate, if you find an opening, go for the kill!" Levi instructed his squad. They were all hesitant, everyone but Mikasa who would spot at nothing to get Eren to safety. Still, everyone got ready to fight. "Armin. Jean. Secure the wagon!" He ordered. There was one woman on the cart guarding Eren and Historia and one man directing the cart's horses.

Jean and Armin jumped to the carriage to retrieve their friends, Armin threw the driving man away and turned to see how Jean was doing- Jean had hesitates, he didn't want to kill anyone, thanks to his hesitation, the woman was able to hold a gun aimed at Jean's head. Armin lost no time getting a gun that was dropped from the previous man and shot the woman in the back before she could shoot Jean. Jean was still in shock. Another one from Kenny's soldiers aimed at them.

"No!" They suddenly heard a familiar voice. Lexie came and kicked the man aiming at them away, making him drop his pistol. "I said not to hurt them!" She yelled.

Her friends froze for a second. Lexie was there, but she wore black clothes and an anti-personnel ODM gear. She was not being attacked. She was against them. She looked down at Jean and Armin with regret in her eyes. Three more soldiers jumped and aimed at them again.

"No! Stop!" Lexie yelled, but was ignored. Levi and Sasha were, thankfully, able to save Armin and Jean. Two men jumped into the carriage and so did Lexie, one of them took the reins. Lexie checked on Eren and Historia, she then looked back up at her friends, she was worried, but they all seemed to be safe. She met Armin's eyes, there were wide, scared and confused, Lexie looked back with regret, silently asking him to forgive her.

***********

"I told you not to kill anyone!" Lexie yelled at Kenny.

"The targets were retrieved safely, that was the job." Kenny replied annoyed.

"You killed three soldiers and almost killed more!" Lexie was furious.

"Zip it, princess. You are not the boss of me." Kenny replied. "Besides, you were not supposed to come, you are here only to evaluate their health and make sure they make it to the chapel. Where did you even get the gear?"