Chapter 33 - A pained first meeting

Începe de la început

 "That is unless you want to look at Neuvillette while he is naked and manage to get his permission to do so." I said blankly

 The speed at which his face flushed and he left the room was impressive.

 Now then...

 "Lie down face first, will you?"

 Finally, I had an undisturbed moment alone with Neuvillette.

 I decided to leave uncomfortable questions for later and start with the examinations as normal.

After he lay down on the bed I leaned over him, reaching out my hand.

 I tapped on the bed next to his waist a few times to inform him where I was going to touch till I heard a hum of acknowledgment.

 "You really don't need to do that. You can just tell me where you'll be touching." Neuvillette commented.

 "It's an old habit. I doubt I will ever drop it at this point."

 I traced my finger along his lower back without breaking contact till I reached his spine. then I lowered my palm onto it and applied some pressure.

 "Tell me if it hurts."

 "Don't you get tired of doing this?" He asked.

 "Don't you get tired of getting injured?" I retorted.

 But in some ways, he was right.

 It was not his spine that was the problem but his nerves.

 No matter how much pressure I would put on his spine unless it reached a point where any other human being too would feel pain, it never hurt.

 His spine had healed miraculously well considering he took a bullet straight to it. His nerves on the other hand...

 Neuvillette was in no way disabled.

 The problem was that after his injury, the nerves in his lower back and right leg sometimes give off the wrong signals to the most minor things like the pressure that comes with walking or standing.

 What they would send back to the brain would instead be the full-force pain of an injury almost equal to getting your leg blown off.

 "Any incidents with your leg this month?" I asked.

 "Just once. I sat in the wrong position for just a bit too long."

 "Hmm."

 Just once is good. Definitely much better than last month.

 Speaking of last month.

 "How is the injury on your shoulder?"

 "Which one?"

 The fact that he had to ask which one annoyed me to an incredibly high degree.

 "The one Wriothesley so kindly pointed out."

 "Almost completely healed."

 "Any pain? Infection?"

 "No."

 That's good.

 But...

 "If I have to remove another bullet from your body within the next two months I will prescribe you some medicine you have to dissolve in water and drink." I warned.

 A pained groan left his throat at the mere idea.

 "Don't you dare." He groaned.

 "If you don't want me to, avoid danger for just two months."