Chapter 17

After his and his father's talk, Lloyd felt as if a weight had been lifted off of him. He woke up the next morning feeling... almost happy. Why hadn't they decided to make up sooner?

He walked with his father to breakfast. They didn't say much, but the silence was comfortable and warm rather than thick with their usual tension.

They sat side by side at the table. The chatter among the others was lively and Lloyd was surprised to feel himself smile.

Garmadon nudged him. "I haven't seen that smile in a long time," he purred.

Lloyd looked away in embarrassment. "Dad..."

Garmadon smiled himself. "You should smile more," he murmured.

Lloyd looked back at him. "There wasn't much reason to, until now," he admitted.

Garmadon chuckled and ruffled his son's hair. He looked up as Misako sat on the other side of Lloyd. "Did you boys sleep well?" she asked, eyes twinkling knowingly.

Lloyd and Garmadon exchanged a glance before staring back at her. Eventually, Garmadon rested a hand on his son's shoulder. "You could say that," he answered.

Lloyd laughed a little as Kai came to sit beside Garmadon. The sensei turned to him and frowned. In spite of Lloyd's newfound happiness, Kai seemed to be feeling just the opposite. He slumped onto his chair and sighed, his green eyes dark with gloom.

Garmadon watched as the red ninja glanced across the table at Skylor and he suddenly understood. "I guess you heard the news about the wedding," the sensei began to him.

Kai's eyes started to blaze when he looked over at Chester, who was making a smiley face out of the food on his plate. "Look at him!" he hissed. "He's an idiot! But when he wants to be, he can be a real jerk! I swear that guy has to be bipolar or something."

"Kai," Garmadon sighed, "you shouldn't talk about him like that. He is a prince, after all, and he's soon going to be king."

"King!" Kai scoffed in disbelief. "I can't be the only one who thinks he shouldn't be a king! He's psycho! And might I say suspicious! I mean come on, how could he be this dumb? Maybe he's the spy!"

"Now you're talking nonsense," Garmadon snapped. "There's nothing evil about the prince. Even if he is..." He watched Chester giggle to himself as he played with his food. "...a bit odd. You're only upset about the wedding, Kai. You shouldn't take it out on Prince Chester. He's only following his duty as well."

Kai crossed his arms, leaning back in his chair. "Skylor deserves better," he muttered.

Garmadon placed a hand on his shoulder. "Kai, you knew this day was coming."

"That's exactly what Lloyd said!" Kai huffed.

"Hm?" Lloyd perked up at the sound of his name. "What did I do?"

Garmadon glanced at him, finding a glint of nervousness in his eye. "Nothing, son," the sensei reassured him, touching the ninja's cheek.

Lloyd blinked at him, processing for a minute, then turned back to his breakfast.

Garmadon turned back to Kai and found the gloom had returned to the red ninja's eyes as he rested his cheek on his fist. Sympathetic, Garmadon slipped an arm around him and pulled him closer. "You must not be used to having your heart broken," he murmured, pressing his lips to the side of the ninja's head. "It's usually you who's breaking them."

"That's not funny, Dad."

"Too soon?"

"Definitely too soon."