Chapter 58-Third Person

Beginne am Anfang

He scoffed breaking his demeanor, shaking his head as he examined the countertop a little while longer. "That fucking doll." Jonathan said to himself.

"You're upset." It wasn't a question.

"Upset? I'm pissed the fuck off." He poured another glass of wine but didn't drink it, "He shouldn't be sitting in that living room with my daughter giving her the one gift she wanted."

Martha sighed, "Jonathan, I couldn't find the damn doll. Wherever I went they were sold out and by the time I had calculated everything, getting that doll would have gone over budget anyway so I stopped looking."

"You should have just spent the money on the doll." He said frustratedly as he push the glass away backing up from the counter.

"She is more than happy with what she got from us. She was running around trying on her clothes and showing them to us. Not once did she complain or look around expecting another present. That's something I appreciate about our child is that she appreciates what she has."

It's like he didn't even hear what she had just said.

"How did he know about that damn doll?" He's like a dog with a bone, She thought. "Wait did you tell him?"

"First of all every child in Paige's grade wants that doll. And yes I may have mentioned it."

"Why would you do that?!"

"Jonathan, it was in passing conversation, he asked how Christmas shopping was going and I expressed all the stress I went through hunting down everything except for that damn doll. I didn't know he was going to take it upon himself and try to find it." Martha watched him lean against the counter staring at the floor, "What's really bothering you? Because it's not about the doll."

He tried to wave her off, "It is about the doll."

"No it isn't."

"Martha -"She cut him off.

"Jonathan, if that doll was so important for you to get Paige then you would have done that but last time I checked you weren't the one out there looking for presents." .The intensity of his emotions were piercing as she search his eyes for the answer, "Did you also happen to go into all the malls in town and in the city? Because I didn't see you." Jonathan's eyes were guilty, he knew she was right. If he really thought the doll would make all the difference in the world he would have gone out and gotten it himself.  "There's more here. I can see it on your face."

"Martha, my daughter is looking at him like he's holding the whole world in his hands. She's my daughter."

"Jonathan, Paige will never replace you in her mind. You are her father, that isn't going to change just because there's another man in her life. Ryan is never going to take that away from you. He's just being a good uncle."

Jonathan scoffed and rolled his eyes. Before he could retort and say something he might regret, the sound of hurried footsteps got louder.

"Guys lower your voices, I can hear you in the living room." Lori voiced, causing Martha to turn in a panic, "Don't worry she didn't notice. Though by the look Ryan gave me, I know he definitely did."

Jonathan rolled his eyes, "Of course he did."

"What's got your panties in a twist?"

"Fuck off Lori."

Lori threw her hands up before folding them in front of her, "Someone's in a mood."

Martha quickly turned to Lori and started escorting her out of the kitchen before she started getting under Jonathan's skin like she usually did, "We'll be right behind you... promise."

Jonathan was still steaming on the other side of the kitchen, "Look, why don't I finish packing Paige's bag for her weekend with you and you guys can get an early start."

"Martha, I came here to spend time as a family."

There was sincerity written on her face as she spoke, "And we have, this was more than I could have hoped for given the circumstances. Paige's smile never once wavered today. That is all I wanted." Jonathan's face looked conflicted but in the end he just gave her a small smile.

----------------------------------——————————

A/N: 🚨

Thank you guys for reading and voting on your favorite chapters! I especially love the comments. To know people are invested in the story and care about character choices is EVERYTHING!!🥹🥰

Shout out to some people who have binge read (my favorite kind of reading), voted, commented and even added me to one of their reading lists:

melaninbreeze, michelle44life, lumocolore2023, katiecerv, Astolfo653, Saneraman, Carlettebun, SupeonaDavena, gungun3010, Socialk948, Princessusa, MelissaMarcarthy, CodeNameLici, and gxZaniolo

If I missed anyone🥺, please know your support is amazing and truly appreciated!!💕💕🥰

Jonathan after seeing doll:🤣🤣

Paige when Ryan gave her the ultimate Christmas gift:🤯