🌞Chapter 40🌻

🌞🌻

As Thursday approached, Mew felt more uncomfortable than happiness at meeting Gulf. He did want to see Gulf. But could he act normally in front of Gulf? Before, Gulf said he felt disgusted with the way he looked at him. Now he had actually touched him. Would he be able to look at Gulf
without obvious desire in his eyes?

He still couldn't find the answer to how Gulf thought of him. Had he been even pushed out of the boundary of being a friend? Then what could he do? He thought he'd be nervous even choosing one word to speak.

It was hard for him to handle his own fickle mood. If it was going to be like this...it would have been better for him to just turn down their meeting, he thought, again and again. On Thursday itself, even when the bell chimbed, signalling the end of their shift, Mew didn't get up from his seat. He numbly stared ahead.

"Why do you look like you're going to die?"

He heard voice next to ear, so startled, he turned back. Kaownah had approached him unnoticed and was staring into Mew's face.

"Our work is done. If you have nothing better to do, why don't we go drinking? The guys at the shipping department invited me out."

Even when he found out that Gulf  was the person in Mew heart, Kaownah's attitude hasn't changed. The day after he was found out, he thought it couldn't be helped even if Kaownah ignored him. However, Kaownah talked to him, the same as always. Mew relieved deeply in his heart. But...

After that day, Kaownah and Mew didn't talk about XXX Branch or Gulf at all.

"Thanks for asking, but...I have to meet someone today."

Kaownah frowned heavily between his eyebrows.

"Just forget about meeting up with someone who's making you sigh that much since this morning. We'll gonna have much more fun together. You can get drunk all you want. I'll look after you."

"But…"

Kaownah breathed out heavily, his hand resting on his hip.

"You can't see yourself, so you might be fine. But if you look depressed like that, you're causing trouble for everyone. Everyone is asking me, 'What's wrong with Mew?'"
"Sorry... I didn't know."

"Well, everyone has their moments of slump, so it's okay. So-oh, hang out with me today. We'll forget about all bad things."

Mew lightly breathed in.

"P'Gulf is going to come today."

Kaownah looked cheerful, despite complaining. However, his expression suddenly changed.

"I'm supposed to have dinner with him. So I can't go."

The silence frightened him. He couldn't look Kaownah in the face. As if trying to shake off those heavy feelings, Kaownah lightly tapped him on the end of his shoulder.

"Then, look a bit happier. Don't look like you're going to die any second."

Kaownah was laughing hopelessly.

When he saw that face, his words spilled out, as if they exploded.

"I can't understand Gulf."

Kaownah shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't understand you, either. When I think I finally figured out a li--ttle bit, it's a world of mystery again."

It was just a change of heart.

"Won't you come, too, Kaownah? Three of us can drink together, like last time."

"That's…"

Kaownah twisted the ends of his lips.