XVIII

┏━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┓

chapter eighteen

WE ARE IMPERTINENT

SEN

┏━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┓

"Need any help?" Sen offered, trailing behind Percy.

"No, no, I got it."

Annabeth hung behind, not wanting to get near the head. "Just make sure it's pointing in the right direction before you take my hat off."

Percy nodded as he walked to the door. "Good tip."

Sen looked out the door, where Alecto was patiently waiting. She glanced at Percy, at the spot where the head was at, and she quickly opened the door and let him out. She closed the door behind him but stayed, watching through the metal bars as her best friend approached the Fury awkwardly, almost like he wasn't sure what to do.

Sen's shoulders tensed and she clutched the metal nervously as Alecto screeched and charged. In a flash, Percy's awkwardness disappeared, and he took a much more confident pose and he ripped the Yankees cap off Medusa's head and held it out, hauntingly reminding Sen of the exact statue of Perseus with Medusa's head she had seen only a few days ago. Alecto screeched one last time before greyness flashed over her body and she fell. She crumbled to the ground, her new stone body breaking apart, and Percy flinched, stepping back nervously.

Sen stared at him, her heartbeat uncontrollable and a blush rising to her cheeks as Percy put the hat back on Medusa. She ran off before he could see her, making her way to the kitchen, where Annabeth was filling a cup with water.

Annabeth raised an eyebrow. "Did he do it?"

"Y-yeah, um, all done," she said, running to the burgers again.

Annabeth raised an eyebrow. "Why are you so red?"

Sen ignored her as her eyes landed on Medusa's had. It was beautiful- cream colored and bowl-shaped, with a vintage trim and flower detail on the side. She grabbed it curiously, picking it up with shaky hands.

Annabeth frowned. "What are you doing with that?"

Sen stared at it. "I want to keep it."

"What?"

"I want to keep it." Sen heard the front door open.

"She tried to kill us!"

"And we killed her," Sen said. "Turnabout is fair play. You up her water bill, I keep her hat. Not to wear, or anything. Just..." She looked down. "This was my first real fight. And she told me something about myself." She stared at Annabeth. "Apollo is not my dad. Apollo is the dad of my demigod parent."

Annabeth hesitated. "You can't... You can't be sure about that. Medusa may have been lying to trick you, to make you join her side."

"She wasn't lying," Sen insisted. "I know it. Her intentions were good and bad. She intended to use that information to sway me, but that information was still truthful. She intended to turn all of us into stone, but she intended to protect Percy."