III

┏━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┓

chapter three

I OBEY THE OBESE GOLDEN

SEN

┏━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┓

Sen slipped her hand under the doormat, locating the house key, and quietly unlocked the front door. It wasn't much good though, since it creaked loudly as she placed the key back under the mat and slipped inside, trying not to wake up Mr. Sanchez. Usually, when he got home from business trips, he did nothing but sleep. He really loved his sleep.

Sen stepped up the stairs as lightly as she possibly could, trying not to make them creak. The Sanchez's bedroom door was opened, revealing a passed-out Mr. Sanchez flopped onto his bed, still in a suit and tie. Apparently, he'd been so tired, he didn't even bother to change. Sen pumped her fist, since that usually meant he didn't wake up so easily, and she quietly slipped into her dirty room.

Not dirty in the way you might think, though. She didn't have a bunch of old clothes or old food or old schoolwork laying around. She had... dirt. Literal dirt. She had plants littered every few feet- hyacinths, a strawberry bush, carnations- so she got soil all over the place all the time. Her window was usually open, making the room the same temperature as the outside world- which was miserable in January and July, obviously- but how else were the pollinators supposed to get in?

Sen put her bag on her bed and gently kicked off her shoes before turning to her plants. Mrs. Sanchez tried her best to care for them in Sen's absence, and she was okay at what she did, but it was obvious her heart wasn't fully in it. Sen watered everyone and spoke quietly to them; I missed you, how are you, did you miss me, things of that sort. Speaking to a plant makes it do better.

The rain let go, which was no surprise, and Sen washed a few ripe strawberries off in it before eating them, savoring the sweet flavor of the juicy fruit. She grinned and thanked her strawberry plant for producing such great fruit.

"Arf!"

Sen looked down. Laying in her driveway was Gordo, the obese golden retriever. He panted and wagged his tail, which meant he was happy to see her, but he didn't move, which meant he expected Sen to come see him.

Naturally, she gave in, sneaking downstairs to open the back door and see the dog.

"Hi, puppy!" Gordo barked again and Sen shushed him. He usually got quiet when she did that. The rain quickly soaked through Sen's clothes, but she didn't really mind. "I haven't seen you in a while. Miss me?"

"Arf!"

"Uh-huh. Mr. Sanchez is asleep," Sen said. "I need a nap, too. I'll be back at dinner and give you a snack, okay?"

┏━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┓

Sen stood on the shore, the water shimmering sea green. White ripples cascaded over the water, reflections of the sun's brilliant light. Pine trees surrounded her, the smell satisfactory as she took a deep breath on the shore.

I need you to get here pretty soon.

"Huh?" Sen turned to her left. She saw Gordo laying on his side, his mouth agape and tongue flapped out.