XI

┏━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┓

chapter eleven

I BECOME SUPREME LORD OF THE BATHROOM

PERCY

┏━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┓

"Sen!"

Apparently, Sen was a lot faster than Percy thought. She had already crossed the meadow and breached the boundary line by the time Percy got moving. Behind him, campers were shouting orders and trying to get themselves together. It was sort of a rule that you are not supposed to leave camp. At all. It's highly dangerous, and could reveal your location to every monster in the tri-state area within seconds.

Naturally, Sen and Percy did not like rules.

Percy felt it the second he crossed the border into the mortal world. The sky was suddenly less blue, and a peculiar chill hung in the air despite it being June. The dry grass brushed at his jeans as he ran, barely able to follow the glimpse of Sen that ducked behind the treeline.

He saw a large gash in the ground from where the Minotaur had slammed his rock. Trees in the general vicinity were snapped, dented, or toppled over. As he ran further, he saw bits and pieces of Sen's clothing- part of an old t-shirt, a wool sock, a sweater sleeve- all of which was leftover from when Sen distracted the Minotaur.

Percy suddenly tripped over her and yelled as he went flying face-first into a puddle of mud. He groaned and heard Sen yelling in surprise as she ran over to him, picking him up gently and using part of her shirt to wipe the mud off his eyes.

"Percy, you followed me?" Sen asked.

Percy batted his eyelashes to get the mud chunks off. "Uh-huh."

"You shouldn't have done that."

"Well, I wouldn't have had to if someone didn't run across the border."

"Stop talking like Chandler Bing," Sen said, wrinkling her face. "Could I be any more un-original?"

Percy glared at her and sat up more fully, which made a sheet of mud slip off his shirt and onto his crotch. That just put him in a worse mood. "Sen, what the hell were you doing?"

Sen rubbed her hand. "I heard someone speaking in my head, and I saw Gordo. So, I chased him."

Percy blinked. "Was it your dad again?"

"No. It was a woman," Sen replied. She reached behind her and said, "Look."

Percy crawled closer to her as she pulled a photograph up to his face. The frame was just a cheap blue one from the dollar store, which was shattered and soggy from the rain. The glass had been shattered too, and Percy noticed a small cut on Sen's hand, which is what she'd been rubbing. The photo was from his ninth birthday party, when Sen dunked his head in the cake and Sally got the perfect aftermath photo. He felt a glimmer of hope at the memory.

I still have Sen.

But it caused him pain, too. He didn't have his mother.