I

┏━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┓

chapter one

I VAPORIZE MY ALGEBRA TEACHER

SEN

┏━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┓

Sen first met Percy Jackson when she was seven years old.

Yes. Seven. She met him at a Military Academy, where most parents dumped their "troubled" kids to "fix 'em up right". Usually, it meant delinquent kids sent to a school where corporal punishment is still allowed. Sometimes, it meant a kid that can't pay attention being scared shitless. For Sen and Percy, it meant a last resort because bad things always seem to happen to them.

Naturally, when you're seven and your teacher tells you he was gunning down human beings in Vietnam before your mom was even born, you'll probably be pretty scared. Sen was, at least. She was scared to a terrifying degree. She remembered sitting all alone at lunch, shaking and trying not to cry. Apparently, military schools don't want kids to cry. Maybe it makes them less tough?

Then a certain blond put his Transformers lunch box next to her Hello Kitty one, and simply said, "I'll give you Oreos if you give me your blue Jolly Ranchers."

Sen remembered just staring at him and saying, "Okay."

Sometimes, she wondered what drove him to talk to her that day. He wasn't always a very social kid. Never, actually. He got picked on and switched schools every four seconds, so it was easier to just not make friends if he was going to lose them anyway. Still, apparently, he really wanted those Jolly Ranchers, and he became Sen's best friend of all time.

Granted, they had their ups and downs. Percy didn't stay at the military school for a very long time, but he never lived at a different apartment, so it wasn't hard for Sen to wander around and find him after he left her. She had to sneak around Gabe, since Gabe didn't like her very much, but Sally loved her very dearly.

One thing, however, managed to secure their bond; they saw things nobody else could see.

It seemed endless. Sen felt like she had a special bond with Percy. What's that? And they would both look out the window, and see something peculiar. They would look around, but no one else would see it. They would tell a teacher, and at first, it was just a funny make-believe game. Until they told a teacher more than once, and it became an obsession. An obsession with fantasy that young children must outgrow at some point.

Only they didn't. And it became their own game.

Percy pointed out the window. "Flying horse!" And he gently punched her arm. It was their own version of Slug Bug. It didn't rhyme or anything, but what else could they do?"

Sen rolled her eyes. "There's not even a flying horse out there, Percy."

"Sure there was. I just saw it," Percy said to her.

"Saw it where?"

"Behind that building." Sen looked, but didn't see any flying horse. "Well, it's gone now."

She brushed her dark hair out of her face and turned to her friend. "I think you're making that up."

"I'm not," Percy said, but he couldn't suppress his smile or hide the sly twinkle in his blue eyes. "Totally saw a flying horse!"