IX

┏━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┓

chapter nine

I DISCUSS MY POSSIBLE-FATHER

SEN

┏━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┓

Luke gently handed Sen her bedroll and her bag of old clothes. "Well. At least it was easy to pack you up."

Sen pursed her lips, trying to blink back tears as she vacantly stared at his chest.

"Hey, don't worry," Luke said. "Clarisse was asking for it, really. I already told Chiron that it wasn't your fault."

"I don't know anyone over there," Sen mumbled, referencing cabin seven. A single tear fell down her cheek as she thought about how scared she was. "At least I knew you. Now I can't even live in here."

Luke sighed. "I'll walk you over there, okay? Helena is a great head counselor. I'm sure you'll be okay. And you'll definitely make some friends- Apollo kids come in all varieties, and they're very sociable."

Sen nodded, turning around. She hugged her items close to her chest and Luke put a gentle hand on her upper back, guiding her to cabin seven. She kept her gaze down, trying to ignore the stares campers were giving her. As she approached the steps of cabin seven, she heard loud music blasting from somewhere inside. All kinds of music, actually- she heard a live guitar, a live saxophone, a boombox playing R&B, a couple of kids beat boxing and rapping, a girl singing opera. Luke knocked a few times on the wooden door and the sounds slowly died down.

Luke cleared his throat. "Helena? You in here?"

A girl walked forward, her skin a very dark shade of brown. She had very plump lips, one side of the bottom one decorated with a golden hoop. Her head was shaved, her coily hair bleached, and she had honey-brown eyes and a pleasant smile. She was tall, too- maybe Luke's height- and very physically fit.

"Hey!" she grinned. "You must be Sen! I am Helena." Sen was surprised by Helena's Spanish accent. Sen just looked down, embarrassed that people could actually see her.

Luke sighed. "She's a little upset. Just..."

Helena suddenly reached out and put her hand on Sen's arm. "You'll be okay in here, honey. I promise. Luke, thank you for bringing her!"

"'Course," Luke nodded. He turned to Sen. "You'll be alright, see?"

Sen nodded absently, and watched sadly as Luke walked back to cabin eleven.

Helena closed the door of cabin seven. "It's almost lights out, but we can take a few more minutes to get you situated." She led Sen to the very back wall of the cabin. "Top or bottom bunk?"

"Top," Sen mumbled. Being in the top bunk made her feel like royalty, as childish as it was.

Helena sighed. "You don't need to cry, Sen. It'll all work out in the end." She sat down on the bottom bunk and smile pleasantly at Sen. "So, where are you from?"

"Manhattan," Sen said. "Where are you from?"

"Santo Domingo," Helena said.