XVII

┏━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┓

chapter seventeen

WE VISIT THE GARDEN GNOME EMPORIUM

PERCY

┏━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┓

Annabeth groaned, "What are you doin-"

"Somebody's making hamburgers in the middle of nowhere, on a satyr path!" Grover interrupted, marching away. The group broke onto a road and Grover looked to the right. "Whoever it is... they're from our world."

Everyone followed his lead, looking around curiously as they walked forward. Percy struggled to read the curly words on the sign, so Sen read it for everyone.

"'Aunty Em's Garden Gnome Emporium.'" She used one of her hands to hold Percy's flannel, since he was busy holding the shoe box. Percy looked around, seeing an old truck, a run-down house, and a bunch of wicked statues.

Annabeth frowned. "Oh, come on."

Percy tilted his head. "What?"

Annabeth gazed around. "Aunty 'Em' has a garden full of petrified stone folks."

Sen moved closer to Percy.

"This is someone from our world, all right," Annabeth said. "Anyone wanna guess what 'Em' is short for?"

Everyone came to a stop at the front of the house. These statues were horrified. Monsters beyond Percy's imagination, their faces contorted and fangs bared.

Sen whimpered, "What is 'Medusa'?"

Annabeth's voice tightened. "Let's get out here, please? While we still can."

"We can't," Sen said, shaking in fear.

Percy frowned. "What?" He turned around just as Alecto screeched again, landing several yards away from them on the road. He tossed his shoe box to Grover and uncapped his sword, while Sen held her fans out as she eyed down the Fury.

Alecto smirked. "You should have accepted my offer when you had the chance." Her gaze was on Annabeth.

"Offer? What offer is she talking about?" Percy demanded.

"I'm guessing it's not low insurance rates," Sen said.

"Not today, friends. Not on my doorstep."

Alecto immediately hid her face in her wing. Percy turned curiously at the sound of a silky woman's voice. She rounded the corner, wearing a beige dress and hat that reminded Percy of rich women in the forties.

Annabeth gasped, "Oh, shit!"

Grover and Annabeth immediately averted their eyes. Sen took Percy's head and made him look away, and he squinted his eyes for good measure.

He heard the woman stop walking. "If you have something to resolve, why not come inside and I'll help? Alecto! Will you be joining us?" Percy opened his eyes to look at the other side of the road. Alecto hid her gaze even further. The woman sighed, "No. Well, I wouldn't think you would." He could practically hear her smile. "She won't bother you as long as you're with me. But, it isn't as though she'll leave either. Not if it means reporting that she failed to retrieve the son of Poseidon."