IV

┏━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┓

chapter four

GROVER UNEXPECTEDLY LOSES HIS PANTS

PERCY

┏━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┓

Percy stood on the shore of Montauk, heavy rain pounding the earth and sea. Thunder rumbled, followed by a flash of lightning as he stared at the enraged ocean. A dim light stood beyond the fog, sending a strange chill through his bones as he fixated on it and the shadowy figure accompanying it.

A sound like wood creaking came before the voice. Who are you?

Percy frowned. The rain came down harder as he watched, refusing to look away.

So weak. So scared. So sad. Run away, little hero, before you get hurt.

Percy jolted awake through another clap of thunder. It was still raining, and he realized it was much later than the time he had fallen asleep. Sen sat next to him in her little yellow raincoat, bumping her head along to music that wasn't even there. She realized he'd woken up and she smiled at him.

Sally sniffled slightly. "We're here." She turned back, offering her son a smile, though Percy knew she'd been crying. Usually, it was better not to address that.

He gripped the car door. "On three?"

"Wait!" Sen said, grabbing her bag and pulling up her hood. "Okay."

Sally grinned, turning off the car. "Alright. One, two..."

She cut herself off with her own laughter as Sen and Percy raced out of the car, slamming the doors shut. The rain drowned out Sally's voice as Percy laughed hysterically, watching Sen splash up mud and water as she cut in front of him in the nick of time. She stopped abruptly at the door, laughing as Percy crashed into her.

"Move!" he laughed, trying to shove her out the way.

Sen put her back to his and pushed. "No! I got here, first!"

"Excuse me," Sally said, holding up the key to the cabin. Sen and Percy kept pushing against each other, but they moved backwards slightly. As soon as the door opened, they surged forward, squeezing into the door at the same time.

Sen shivered as she stood on the welcome mat, quickly taking off her coat to hang up. "'S chilly."

"You should probably go change," Sally suggested. "Both of you."

"Me first," Sen said. "I've been walking longer."

"Are you taking a shower?" Percy demanded. "I should go first if you're gonna shower!"

Sen blew her tongue at him and slammed the door.

"Sen! Are you going to-" Percy groaned loudly as he heard the shower turn on. Go figure. Sally just snorted.

"You can change in a different room, Percy," Sally said.

"It's the principal."