19

Saturday, April 8

ANAYA'S P.O.V

"Yuh ready?" Ryan asked as I exited the bedroom.

"Yeah."

We were going to buy the furnitures and paint for Mommy's house today. This morning when I woke up I was thinking about the conversation that Ryan and I had in the car yesterday evening and deep down I'm kinda happy that he's taking such a huge burden off my shoulder.

HOWEVER,

I wanted to go back to school to complete my degree, so I'll be using my money to save for that. And I'm not telling him about it. I want to be in control of something that is about me. Anything else that needs to be taken care of, I'll try to tell him about it.

Pulling up to the furniture store, Ryan came to open my door. Thanking him, we both went into the store. We were greeted by someone and asked what we'd like. Because it was Ryan doing the spending, I didn't want to go hard on his pocket, so I was kinda iffy about what I wanted until he pulled me to the side.

"Babes wa happen?" He asked.

"Mi just nuh waa yuh think mi a pressure yuh pocket so mi a try choose sumn weh cheap and can last a good while," I told him honestly.

"Babes, no worry bout mi pocket. You can pressure it all yuh want. Mi pocket barely a shift wid this, " He assures me.

"Yuh sure?" I asked him again.

"Yes, babes, plus yuh mother deserved the best," He says, pulling me back to the store clerk.

I watched him converse with the store clerk, and I couldn't help but admire how much of a man Ryan is. His parents sure did raise him right. A lot of women would want a man's help like Ryan's and mi deh ya a refuse it all because a mi issues.

"Ya hear weh we a seh babes?" I heard Ryan say, pulling me from my thoughts.

"What were you saying?" I asked, slightly embarrassed.

"Mumma have mad love fi yuh mi boss. She just a stare pon yuh so wid dreamy eyes like she love yuh off" The store clerk laughs and Ryan and I join him.

But love?

Mi nuh think we reach da stage deh yet. Mi care bout him wul heap and mi have strong feelings towards him but mi wouldn't call it love.

Getting back to business, we ended up choosing the furniture that would best complement Mom's house. Ryan had used his card to pay for the furniture and delivery. He didn't even let me see the receipt. Our next stop was to get paint for Mommy's house. After getting the paint, we went to get something to eat and then headed home. Night had already fallen by the time we reached Ryan's house. We showered, and now Ryan and I were lying on the bed cuddling while scrolling through our phones.

"Yuh want mi get some people fi paint the house and put in the furniture dem tomorrow?" Ryan asked

"Do dat nuh. A when the people dem say the furniture dem a come?"

"Tomorrow," He answered

"Alright," I replied.

To be honest, I'm completely proud of how far I've come. I only hope I'm making my family proud, especially Mommy.

"Yuh think mommy proud a mi Ryan?" I asked, sitting up.

"Of course wah kind a question dat?" He asked, sitting up as well.

"Mi nuh know. Sometimes mi think seh mi nah do enough. Like, mi should a do more, " I sighed.

"Babes nuh bother think that cause if nobody else nuh proud a yuh mi know yuh mada proud a yuh. She tell mi multiple times. Mi hundred percent sure yuh bredda and sister proud a yuh. If yuh eva hear how dem talk bout yuh more while people would a swear think seh yaa hero. Mi proud a yuh too babes cause as a young ooman yuh have yuh head pon yuh body and a dem sumn deh mi like fi see in a ooman" I stared at him in awe.