Zephaniah (29)

Mulai dari awal

Niel took a deep breath and walked outside. I took one myself and drank some water. This was the reason I was even in the kitchen in the first place. As if I already don't have enough on my mind, Zaire FaceTimes me. The call was brief, but he asked if I could see him. I told him I couldn't because I had to see some more clients today as I looked at the clock. 1:23. He told me to cut the bullshit; it's Saturday, and he is sure that I don't have any clients today, so meet him at Starbucks near my house. I told Zaire okay, and then I told Niel that I'm leaving his house; he said fine and brush passed me angrily. I grabbed my purse and ran out of his house the fastest way my big self could. I got there at 2:06.

The sun was setting, painting the sky in a canvas of fiery reds and oranges, when I pulled up to the Starbucks near my house as requested. I could feel the weight of my thoughts pressing against my chest, making it hard to breathe a little. My palms were sweaty as I grabbed my purse, got out of the car, and locked it. The cold air hit me like a slap in the face, but it did little to quell the nervous energy coursing through my veins. I walked to the Starbucks entrance door, pushed open the door, and stepped inside, taking in the familiar scent of freshly brewed coffee and the soft hum of conversations. Zaire was already there, sitting in a corner booth with his back to me. His posture was rigid, and his shoulders were tense. I approached him, making sure that it was him, and it was. I sat and looked at him as the sunlight streamed in through the wide windows, casting a warm, golden glow over our faces. Despite the relaxing atmosphere, there was a palpable tension between us, a lingering undercurrent of unease that seemed to heighten the senses. We sat across from each other, hands clasped together on the table, our eyes locked in an intense stare.

Zaire before you ask me or tell me whatever you feel like I need to know, I'd like you to know that I'm planning on giving you full custody of the twins. The words hung in the air between us, heavy and ominous. I took a deep breath and then continued. I know it's for the best. My voice broke on the last word, and I felt a hot tear trickle down my cheek. I've been thinking about it a lot, and I don't want to bring them into a world such as mine. The air in the room now felt thick with tension. His expression was a stormy mix of fury, disbelief, and heartache, and I couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt over it. Despite his calm demeanor, I could sense the turmoil within him, like a volcano ready to erupt at any moment. The only sound breaking the suffocating silence were the conversations that were being held around us.

"Alora, before I can agree to anything, we need the test results to see if these are my kids or not," his voice firm and resolute. "I haven't heard or seen Troy since, you know, when, and there's always the possibility that he's the father. You remember, don't you?" Zaire fixated on a steady gaze, his dark eyes boring into mine. I... I know. I felt a wave of guilt wash over me. But I can get the DNA results a few days after I give birth. It's not that hard. I took a deep breath, trying to steady my nerves. I just need your help right now, Zaire. I need you to take care of our babies until I can handle my dirty laundry.

The silence that followed was heavy with unspoken words and unanswered questions. Zaire looked away, his jaw clenching and unclenching as he struggled to process what I had just said. His hand moved to rub his forehead, a sign of frustration and confusion. I could see the anger and hurt in his eyes, but I also detected a hint of fear. It could be fear for the future of these children or fear for what might happen to me. The emotions played out on his face like a tragic drama, each expression more heartbreaking than the last. As I watched him, my own guilt and self-doubt began to consume me. I knew deep down that it was the right thing to do. My kids deserved a better life than what I could give them, and Zaire was the only person I trusted to give it to them. Still, I could see the struggle in his eyes, the turmoil that threatened to tear him apart.