Chapter 40

After using the bathroom, I couldn't help but try to fit through the window. I opened it up and let the cool air from outside blow through my hair.

The window was small, but maybe I could just... yeah, no, that's not gonna happen. It's just far too small for anyone to fit through.

"Dammit." I whispered to myself as I hit my fist against the wall. I just have to be patient. This gas station isn't my time to escape.

One thought made the moment seem more tense. What if it only gets harder to escape? The first time, I came face to face with Ghostface, and I got out. The second time, he stopped me. The third time, the man couldn't hear a word I was saying to help me. Now I can't get out of this God damn window. What if the next time I try, it's even harder to escape? I can't think like that. Staying with Danny is my only option right now whether I want to or not.

Danny was right beside the door as I left the bathroom. His arms were crossed while he held a few snacks and drinks in his hands.

"Let's get going. We have a long drive ahead of us." Danny pushed himself off of the wall, leading the way to the counter to buy the items.

I completely zoned out while Danny talked to the elderly man. All of my attention was on the newspaper that was thrown aside for the moment. The Ghostface mask looked directly into my soul as if it were alive.

My trance ended quickly when Danny grabbed my hand and put it in his pocket, leading me out of the gas station and back to the car. I let out a deep breath, upset at myself for not being able to escape nor get any closer to it.

"What's wrong?" Danny heard me. He looked over at me before leading me over to the passenger side of the car. He opened the door and let me sit down inside before leaning forward to look into my eyes, not leaving until I gave him an answer.

"I'm just not a big fan of being in the car for a long time." I made up a quick lie. Well, it wasn't exactly a lie. Who does actually like being trapped in a hot car for hours?

"Hmm." Danny tapped his hand on the door before shutting it and walking around to the drivers side. He got in and started up the car. "Don't worry, I'll turn on the radio, and you get to see the pretty landscape. We'll be there in no time."

The back of my head hit the car seat as I leaned back. This was going to be a rough time.

Trees, hills, and nothing but dirt passed us as we drove down the long stretch of road. I watched out the window for any sort of life just to see absolutely nothing. We really were in the middle of nowhere. Danny and I ate all of the snacks, and the drinks were long gone.

I glanced over at Danny. His eyes looked red, and he yawned, quickly ending it so he could watch the road.

"You alright?" I spoke just loud enough that he could hear me over the radio. My own voice sounded tired.

"I'm fine." Danny pulled over, stopping the car on the side of the road. He turned it off, making it silent besides our voices.

"Uh, where are we?" Everything around us looked the same. Not a single building was in sight.

"We're gonna sleep the night here." Danny leaned back against his chair, glancing over at me. "It's already cold, and it'll get colder as the sun goes down."

"Which is exactly why we should sleep somewhere inside instead of a cold ass car." My tone might have been a bit more aggressive than I originally wanted it to be.

"There isn't another building for a while. Don't worry, I know what I'm doing." Danny put a hand on my shoulder.

"Doesn't change the fact that it's going to only get colder." I crossed my arms as I looked at him.

"I got just the thing for that." Danny opened his door, letting the cold air rush in. I shivered as my arms held each other in a tight hug, trying to stay warm. "Get out."

"Get out? You're joking, right?"

"Trust me." Danny shut the door, leaving me in the car alone for a minute. Unfortunately, he kept the keys on him so I couldn't drive off on my own.

I let out a sigh as I pushed my door open. I shivered the second I stepped out into the darkness. "This is stupid."

"Have more faith." Danny opened the trunk, taking out a few spare blankets and a pillow.

I watched him open the back door to the car and crawl inside. He laid down with the pillow under his head. His hand still held the thick blankets while he looked at me.

"Come in." Danny held his hand out to me.

"Oh." I whined in protest. As I got into the car. It didn't take much convincing for me to get into the car again from how cold it was outside.

"This is stupid." I groaned as I laid on top of him, my head resting right under his chin.

"What? I'll keep you warm." Danny only chuckled as he put the blanket over us, trapping in our body heat.

It didn't take a long time before I fell asleep. I haven't slept in a while now, only being in the car for a long time. That, and being able to lie down for the first time in a while.

Sleep consumed me, making me not even notice the small kisses Danny placed on the top of my head. He was good at keeping me warm.

~○~