Chapter 39

The bell above the door jingled as Danny and I walked into the gas station. My hand was still being tightly held in his pocket. My eyes scanned the place to only see a few shelves with things on them. It seemed almost empty.

I glanced at one elderly man in the corner behind a counter. His mouth was slightly open with his glasses on the very tip of his nose as he read a newspaper. I could see the name 'Jed Olsen' clearly written under all of the text along with a photograph of Ghostface. I wasn't exactly sure if that fact would cause issues or not later on. It might even work in my favor.

Danny walked off, dragging me along with him. He held my hand tightly as we went down an aisle.

"What do you want?" Danny asked, but I was more focused on the only man. He didn't even seem to realize we were there.

"Y/N?" Danny gave me a tug.

"Don't you dare." He whispered, leaning closer to me. He could obviously see what I was thinking.

"I won't." My eyes went down to the ground for a second, just to avoid his burning gaze. My free hand reached out and grabbed a few of my favorite snacks as we went through the aisles.

Danny stood in front of a shelf near the old man. I could see him reading his magazine in the corner of my eye. Could I just...? No, I have to play it safe. Maybe I could test the water and see how deep Danny would let me go.

"Excuse me?" My voice was light as I spoke, for I was still scared of Danny being right there. It wasn't like I was doing anything yet. I was just testing what I could do.

"What are you doing?" Danny tugged on my arm aggressively while he whispered in my ear.

"I was just going to ask where the bathroom was." I whispered back to Danny before turning to the old man.

"Excuse me?" I said louder. The old man continued to read his newspaper. I don't think he could actually hear me.

"Hello?" I waved my hand in his direction. "Can I just go ask him?"

"No, you can't just go ask him." Danny didn't even look at me, his eyes still scanning the options.

"But he can't hear me."

"Then go to the back and figure it out yourself."

"But you're grabbing my hand."

Danny let out a sigh, turing his face up to the sky as he squeezed his eyes shut. He's definitely getting stressed out.

"Come on." Danny started walking before I even knew we were moving, making me stumble into his side before quickly composing myself.

We went to the back of the gas station, seeing a small hallway with boxes scattered all over it. This wasn't a very clean place, but how many gas stations in the middle of nowhere actually are?

Luckily, we found the bathroom door. Danny went to go in just to find that it was locked. He jiggled with the know a few times until giving up, turing to me with a look of concentration.

"You can go ask the man for keys." Danny leaned down so his face was right in mine, pointing a finger at me as if to tell me off. "You tell him a word about what's happening; I'll gut him, and you'll never see the sun again."

"Okay." I only nodded my head as Danny let go of my hand. I walked around him and went back to the front of the gas station. I could feel his eyes burning into the back of my head until I was out of sight. I guess we were both testing each other. I was testing how far I could go without getting stabbed, and he was testing how far he could trust me.

"Sir, you have to help me. I was kidnapped by the man I was in here with. You have to call the cops right now." I spoke quickly, thinking over every word before saying it.

"What was that?" The man looked up from his newspaper.

"Call 911." I said a bit louder, still trying to make sure Danny couldn't hear me.

"I didn't get that." The old man turned his head slightly, holding his ear towards me.

"I need help." I said even louder.

"Help with what?" Finally, we're getting somewhere. That was until I heard footsteps behind me. I had to change it up quickly.

"I need a bathroom key." My voice was just as loud if not louder, so Danny could hear me. Sure enough, I felt a hand lightly press against my back. I was too late. I couldn't escape without him knowing.

"Oh, of course." The old man reached behind the desk as he took out a key to hand it to me. "Hey, aren't you the Ghostface writers?"

"Uh yeah. We are." Danny stepped into the conversation.

"I love your work. The way you write makes it feel like I'm in the story. Like I'm reading a book instead of the news." The man handed me the key, placing it gently into my palm.

"Thank you very much." Danny nodded his head before guiding me back away from the counter.

"You did good, sweetheart. Look at you not trying to run." Danny whispered in my ear as we made our way back towards the bathroom. If only he knew what I had been actually trying to do.

I used the key to open the bathroom door, pushing the door open to see exactly what I expected. An incredibly small room with a rusty toilet, sink, and a small window right above it.

"I'll be right outside." Danny said to me, placing his hands on my shoulders while giving me a small kiss on the neck before sending me off into the small bathroom.

~○~

A/N
Merry Christmas 🎄