Bonus - Christmas special

"Wake up my love, it's Christmas!"

I stirr and slowly become more aware of my surroundings. My mate is grinning at me widely, unable to hold back his excitement.

"Merry Christmas," he gives me a soft kiss on my lips.

I smile back at him. "Merry Christmas, I love you."

His grin turns into a beam as it always does when I affirm my love for him. He never doubts me, he just likes to hear it over and over again.

"I love you too."

After dressing up, we make our way downstairs to greet Maeve and Elijah. As always, they're up earlier than us and Maeve has already started cooking our Christmas dinner.

"Sweetheart, we can compel someone to sort out all the food for us," Elijah kisses her cheek and provides her with another option as he sees her busily preparing our meal.

But I know Maeve very well, she loves cooking. Elijah knows it too but he hates to stand around and watch while his mate does any sort of work. He'd rather she never lifted a finger purely because he'd like to do it for her. Or compel a human to.

"Elijah, I'm fine," she promises him sweetly. "I love cooking and we can't compel strangers to leave their families today. It's Christmas Day!"

He nods immediately, accepting her strong no. The conversation went just as I expected. Elijah thinks he's in charge but really Maeve wears the pants in their relationship. It must be a mate bond thing because Nik is just as agreeable with me when I decide on something whether he likes it or not.

"Merry Christmas Maeve!" I waltz into the kitchen to hug her. She offers me a warm smile. "Do you need any help?"

"Merry Christmas Claudia," she responds back to me. "I'm okay for the moment but I might need some help later when the food is nearly ready."

"I can help you as well of course," her mate adds politely. I roll my eyes.

"Do you even know how to cook Elijah?"

"Yes," he responds indignantly. "I've been learning for Maeve."

"He cooked me a lovely pizza the other night, it was delicious," Maeve praises him and he walks over smothering her with kisses.

She giggles before kissing him back, he lifts her onto the kitchen counter without any effort, pressing himself up against her.

I turn on my heel disgusted at the sight of their passionate kissing in the kitchen. It should be a new torture method, I'll have to suggest it to Nik. It's disgusting watching my best friend and Elijah suck each others faces off. It could be used as a punishment.

And with Elijah? Yuck. I can't think of anyone worse.

It's Christmas. Why would they subject me to this?

"What's displeased you so much my love?" My gorgeous mate comes up behind me and kisses my neck.

I sigh, relaxing into him. "Elijah and Maeve might as well be having sex in the kitchen."

"Well we've done that a few times haven't we my love," Nik slowly nuzzles into my neck and kisses me softly.

"Yes but this is Elijah. And Maeve. It's gross. I don't want to think about them doing stuff like that."