Chapter 7 - Maeve's secrets

"I was going to ask you about your dad but that we can discuss later. I see a much more interesting chat we can have. About my brother in law?" Maeve wiggles her eyebrows at me knowingly. I internally groan, nothing ever gets past her.

"It's nothing," I bite my lower lip.

"Claudia Lockwood. Do not lie to me," she waggles her index finger at me. "Spill."

"There's nothing to say, Nik was here, we chatted. He was much nicer today than at the wedding." I inform her.

"First off, he lets you call him Nik?" she asks me amazed.

"I thought he prefers to go by Nik?" I question, confused by her reaction.

"You're joking right? Only his family call him that, don't tell me he asked you to?" She probes for more details.

"No, I'm not joking. When I met him, yeah he did." I affirm.

"Even I don't call him that and I'm married to his brother," she admits.

"I swear, he told me to call him Nik. Why are you making it this a big deal?"

"He's such a flirt but he's never asked any woman to call him that. It is a big deal Claudia," she tells me. Her words make my heart pound. I grin from ear to ear.

"You like him," she gasps spotting my wide smile. So much for controlling my reactions to him.

"Nonsense, he's arrogant most of the time. I do not like him," I deny to her wiping the smile off my face.

"Yes you do, you like him," she giggles.

"Maeve" I say flatly, attempting to contort my face into a stern look in a effort for her to take me seriously. "He was awful to be around for the majority of your wedding reception."

"Oooohh so not the whole time then," she picks up on my words. And I suppress a laugh. Of course Maeve being Maeve, rewords it like that.

"Ok now I know you've finally gone crazy," I counter. "So anyway how's married life?" I try to change the conversation back to her.

"No, back to you and Klaus," she says disregarding my attempt to move on. Clearly today is not my day for steering topics of conversation with anyone. Between both the headstrong Maeve and stubborn Nik, I've attempted to rapidly change subjects multiple times to no avail.

"You'd be good for him, I can't believe I didn't think of this before. I should have set you guys up on a date." Maeve suggests and I can tell she's joking. Well, mostly.

"Ok now you're going too far, besides I doubt he would be interested." I mention the obvious.

"Ok, ok, I'll stop teasing you now," she relents. "But you don't know that. Elijah did say he saw some tension between you two at the wedding," she can't help herself but add. "And he asked you to call him Nik." She gives me a pointed look.

"Like I said, he was awful to be around for most of it. The only tension Elijah could have picked up on was that," I claim.

"And like I said, most of it? What about the rest of the time?" She asks me again, not letting it go.

"Well he was such a gentleman before Elijah came over," I hold back my sigh thinking about how sweet he was initially, before feeling annoyed with myself for being so attracted to him. I need to stop. It's getting ridiculous how I can't stop thinking about him now.

"Klaus, a gentleman? He's anything but. Wow Claudia you really like him." She widens her eyes.

"I hardly know him, how can I like him?"

"Doesn't matter," she practically sings.

"He did just apologise for upsetting me so while he might not be polite all the time, he knows how to be." I'm unsure why I find myself defending him when Maeve refuses to believe he can be a gentleman.

She freezes. "Klaus apologising? Are you serious?"

"Um, yes."

"Huh, I never thought I'd see the day. Of all the dastardly things he's done, upsetting you is the one he apologises for. Typical unpredictable Klaus. He makes no sense."

Dastardly things he's done? What does she mean? I am reminded of Nik's harsh words to his brother about their heinous sins and needing redemption. I shudder at the thought. Maybe Maeve is more aware of what is going on than I gave her credit for.

"What do you mean? What's he done?" I pressure her to elaborate.

"Oh, nothing to concern yourself over. Just family issues, I wouldn't recommend trying to get involved in arguments between Mikaelson siblings."

"I learnt about that for myself the other night," I jest. After my conversation with Nik it hardly bothers me anymore. "And before I forget, thank you for insisting I join you at those dance classes. I would have made a complete fool of myself otherwise."

"You're welcome, I knew you wouldn't regret it. So what happened with Nik then? Before Elijah came over to you?"

"Nik introduced himself and then we danced. It was so lovely. I thought you were exaggerating when you described literal sparks when Elijah touches you but I understand now." I reveal to her.

"What did you say? About the sparks?" She jolts and nearly spills her drink in the process.

"I thought you were exaggerating when you described literal sparks at Elijah's touch." I repeat.

"Did you say you felt sparks? When he touched you?" She pauses deep in thought.

"Yes," I say for the third time trying not to get too frustrated with her for not listening to me. "You know I have limited experience in the dating department, how would I have known you weren't exaggerating? It didn't really seem plausible until I experienced it for myself."

"No that's not normal," she says quietly. I stare at her offended not knowing what I said wrong. "Are you sure? What about with anyone else?"

"Yes, I felt it today too," I snap, what does she mean it's not normal? "And no, just him. What's the problem?"

"No way, no way," she exclaims. "After all these years, Klaus has found his mate. We thought for sure he didn't have one. That bitch Esther. I'll be having words with Elijah when I get home, keeping this from me... my best friend..." she mutters to herself.

"Um... I'm a bit lost here," I say still cross with her. "Did you say mate? And what's this got to do with me?"

"Uh nothing?" she speaks but it sounds more like a question.

"I heard Nik threatening Elijah to back off and stop trying to hide his mate from him. Is that what you're talking about?" I demand wanting answers.

"Oh boy, this just got a whole lot more complicated" she says. "Where's Klaus when you need him?"

I can tell she's not planning on explaining anything. I've had enough of that for today, my patience wearing thin.

"If you won't tell me, fine. I can't force you. But I'm going back to the compound. Come and speak to me when you're ready to share. We used to tell each other everything." At my last line, I cringe. I've been just as guilty keeping things from her but she doesn't know that yet.

Luckily I paid for the latte already so I make my way out onto the street without delay. I don't hear Maeve behind me so I trudge slowly towards the Mikaelsons' compound. Why is everyone hiding secrets from me? First Dad, then Nik and now Maeve. Do they think I'm a fool? Fury surges through my veins and I have a hard time reining it in. They'll all tell me eventually, I simply plan on convincing them to do it now.
————
Any comments or corrections welcome
New chapter every Tuesday!

Don't forget to vote :)
Ceryn x