Chapter 28 - Sick

I'm nodding at Nik, Elijah and Maeve but I'm not comprehending a word they are saying. My mind is consumed with thoughts of food, I haven't eaten since I was with Maeve for lunch a few days ago. I'm exhausted.

"I'm tired, I'm going to take an early night," I interrupt them before walking towards the stairs. I have a splitting headache that has only been getting worse throughout the day. I have no idea how Nik hasn't noticed through the bond but I'm not complaining. I don't want him worrying, assuming I'm sick when I'm not.

My vision starts fading and I'm suddenly apprehensive about going upstairs. I can't faint in front of the Mikaelsons. I can't. It's not even an option.

Struggling to reach the stairs I contemplate heading for the kitchen instead, it's closer than my room and I can fall asleep in one of the chairs. And the smell of Maeve's dinner is comforting, even though I can't eat it myself.

The room spins and I debate throwing myself towards the nearest chair. It would be better than passing out and attracting everyone over to me. Before I can make my mind up I wobble on my feet, I'm very unsteady.

Nik's eyes catch onto mine as I reach out to balance myself but I'm not close enough to the stairs. No no no this can't be happening. They can't find out.

My knees are weak and they give out from under me, my body feeling heavy, impossible to carry. The floor rushes up towards me and I flinch waiting for the impact.

I blink and Nik's arms are wrapped around me and Maeve's sweet voice reaches my ears.

"-a few days ago too."

"What?" He says angrily and his arms tighten around me as if I'm going to faint again. "Maeve why didn't you tell me?"

"I assumed you knew. That she would tell you she's been fainting," Maeve shoots back upset at his accusing tone.

No no no, this is the last thing I wanted to happen. I shove Nik off me and scramble to my feet, pretending the stars that appear in my vision don't exist. The room sways again and I reach out to balance myself on the banister of the stairs as subtly as I can. Nik doesn't look impressed.

"Maeve what are you talking about? I didn't faint in the kitchen," I deny fuming at her insinuation.

"You nearly did. You haven't been eating have you? I should have put it all together days ago."

"Stop lying to my mate," I snap at her. It's the only thing I can think of to say that will end this conversation. Unfortunately Nik isn't willing to let it go yet.

"Why didn't you tell me? Why didn't either of you tell me? Claudia, I asked you if anything was wrong that day and you didn't think to inform me about this?"

I shake my head. "There's nothing wrong."

He looks at me angrily, I haven't convinced him. "You forget love, that we can all hear your heartbeat. Don't lie to me again. Don't forget your promise."

"I'm fine, stop over exaggerating," I grind out and grip the banister to hold myself up as I take a step upstairs. To hell with the promise, I don't care. Elijah's hand flies out and holds my forearm keeping me still.

"Niklaus," he remarks. "She's been hexed." He points to a barely perceptible mark on my hand, visible only under the bright light above me. I pull my hands towards my chest hiding it from view but the action causes me to lose balance yet again and Nik's steady hands stabilise me. He sits us down at the foot of the stairs.

"Claudia, let me see your hand," he asks very very calmly. Too calmly knowing him. I look at his face and see the fury he is trying to hold back for my sake.