Chapter 54 - Tracking Elijah and Maeve

It's taking us ages to track down Maeve and Elijah. They've gone completely off grid after their panic about Mikael which is understandable, although it does make it hard for us now.

I've hardly fed, I'm finding it really really hard. Nik is more worried than he's ever been before and that's saying something. I'm not gaining the weight I should, I'm probably harming the baby. But I can't seem to do anything about it no matter how much it upsets me. I'm not able to fight the hex anymore.

We need to find Maeve and Elijah. Desperately.
Before our baby dies.

Nik leads me to a rather pretty secluded little cottage along the coast in Maine. It's a new lead but I'm not feeling optimistic. I don't think Elijah wants to be found so there's no way they will be here. We've searched for a month with no luck. I doubt here will be any different.

As we approach Nik holds up a hand to halt me, listening intently. Unfortunately my senses are failing again as I'm withering away without blood so I have to quietly ask him to explain.

"They're here," he says turning to me in relief. The dullness in his eyes suddenly vanishing as he sees there is hope again for us. For me and the baby.

"Let have a bit of fun Nik? Follow my lead?"

He glances at me quizzically but complies, "okay."

I march right up to their front door and bang on it loudly.

"Mikaelsons, I know you're in here..." I sing out playfully scaring the life out of Maeve inside.

Nik gives me a cheeky grin realising what I'm up to. This is just too great an opportunity to miss to irritate Elijah. They both still think I'm without my humanity so I'll have a little fun before revealing the truth. Of course, I'll stop before Elijah snaps my neck again. I can't risk the baby like that.

"Come out Maeve, where are you Elijah?" I tease, gesturing Nik to break through the front door which he does with ease.

A softly muffled scream comes from the kitchen and I second guess myself, worrying that I'm taking this too far. I'll have to be mindful of Maeve's trauma. Elijah is my target now.

I head towards the kitchen and see Maeve cowering in fear, Elijah appears quickly in the doorway but I'm standing between him and his mate. It's a bad position for me to be in, up against a possessive mate like Elijah who senses a great risk to Maeve.

"Leave her," he almost growls like a wolf and I'll admit it's quite frightening to be on the receiving end of his temper.

I need to calm him down a little.

Subtly I shift across, allowing Elijah to view Maeve is unharmed. He glances over her quickly and she nods, confirming she is well.

"Oh Elijah," I sigh dramatically, really getting into my role. "I'm not here for her, no. I'm here for you. Do you remember that nasty little bite I gave you? Fancy another?"

Instead of paying attention to me, he turns to his brother.

"I hear you've been busy," he acknowledges unhappily, referring to Nik's descent into chaos and crime while I was emotionless. Thankfully he's back to normal now, focused entirely on the baby and I. I don't know how we'd cope if he stayed how he was.